Favorite Controller

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Favorite Controller

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:39 pm

What's the controller you like the most, and why? Does it have a streamlined shape, lots of cool buttons, or just nostalgic value?

Personally, my favorite is the PS2 controller. It sits easily in your hands, and it has enough buttons to do all sorts of things, but they're all in easy reach of your fingers. I first realized I really liked it when I played Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and saw how well they had used the controls to make it feel like you were dancing every time you fought. The buttons were in perfect positions to make your movements fluid.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Both the gamecube and xbox 360 controllers are the most ergonomic, in my opinion. They just feel so COMFORTABLE! They're curved so perfectly too!

As for the playstation... eh... they almost got it. A little too small and boxy for me.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:19 pm

This is my favorite controller :D

My brother bought it for me for my birthday once... Not that I've ever played dragon quest but I just thought it was cool :) I don't even play PS2 much but yeah...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Nate » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 pm

I HAVE A METAL SLIME CONTROLLER FOR MY PS2 AS WELL.

It's the same as that blue one, just gray. But yeah, it's so freaking awesome.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Midori » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:43 pm

Honestly these are the controllers I have the most fun while using. Those square corners, the perfect button responsivity, the durability, the retro style...there's nothing quite like it anymore.

Among modern controllers though, I like Gamecube or Xbox360 for comfort. The Dreamcast controllers are also pretty comfortable, though they look really weird (especially with those strange memory packs that look like little Tamagotchis). For functionality, I really do like the Wii controller when it's programmed well, like in MP3 or Goldeneye Wii. When it's programmed badly, like in Red Steel, it's pretty painfully awful.
Midori

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:32 pm

PS2/3 is my favorite controller. So far I've tried the controller of every console except the Wii. The 360 felt clumsy and complicated... didn't fit well in my hands at all. Then you have the Game Cube, which I grew up on, and that too was clumsy (you really can't call it a duel analog stick even when considering the c stick). I was surprised at how comfortable the N64 was to me though. Yet in the end, I love the cemetry of the PS2/3 controllers. Everything is within reach and makes sense once you understand symbols to letters.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Furen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:52 pm

After having so many people around with different systems, you get used to all of them, but I was a big fan for the joysticks, S/NES controllers.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Beau Soir » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:11 pm

I really liked the Gamecube controllers, fit nicely in my hands and the buttons were so easy to remember and differentiate. When I first started playing my PS2, I had to keep looking at the buttons on the right, since the x, triangle, square, and circle buttons are all the same shape and size, I couldn't remember which was which at first. Same problem with our Xbox 360, though I find the 360 controllers far too big for my hands... it's kind of awkward.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Isaac » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Grew up on the old SNES and Genisis controllers mostly, and then later on, the playstation controller... but to this day, the feel of the original xbox controller is my favorite... the controller's size was better in proportion to my hands...
Isaac

Postby Midori » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 pm

There's this one thing about the PS2/3 controllers that sometimes bothers me, which is that the analog sticks are completely circular. Gamecube/Wii sticks have octagonal boundaries, and X360 sticks, if I remember correctly, have a slight affinity for the cardinal directions if you push them lightly. PS2/3 sticks are completely round inside and out, which makes it hard to press them in straight up, down, left, right, or diagonal directions. And even in situations where all directions are equivalent, there's no reference points to feel so its easy for your input to get rotated slightly one way or the other, skewing your character or weapon's path a little. It's not usually a huge problem, but I recall it gave me a lot of trouble in certain platforming areas of Devil May Cry, which I'd probably have been able to do much easier with a Gamecube controller.
Midori

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Nate (post: 1467833) wrote:I HAVE A METAL SLIME CONTROLLER FOR MY PS2 AS WELL.

It's the same as that blue one, just gray. But yeah, it's so freaking awesome.

Ah, but do you have one of these?!

It actually works very well :D (if you can't tell, it's a squishy speaker/hand rest for your DS... but it also works for your ipod and stuff :D)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 am

N64.

Toooootally kidding, those were ridiculous.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:28 pm

I haven't come across a controller I don't like. (Even my hands were big enough for the original Xbox controller.) My favorite's probably the PS2 controller.

EDIT: Wait, does a keyboard and mouse count? Nothing really beats that set up.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm

I like the NES, Gamecube (played one at reunion. They just feel so nice in your hands), and the Wii controllers.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Furen (post: 1467866) wrote:After having so many people around with different systems, you get used to all of them

That was/is the case for me. I don't really have a favorite. I like them all pretty equally... except for the Wii remote. I don't like it so much with the nunchuck, and haven't tried it much by itself. The remote is blocky and small, and the button layout feels weird to me.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 pm

Xbox 360 and PS2 controller.

One thing that I like better is the PlayStation controller better then the Xbox 360 controller is for NCAA football. The set up on the PlayStation controller is better then the Xbox 360, imo.

But since I moved and now have only an Xbox 360 and playing the game. I have got use to it, but it will change after we buy a PS3 and I will get NCAA 12 for it, when we get it some time down the road.
Roy Mustang

Postby Riggidig » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 am

For me it's a toss-up between the Sega Genesis/Megadrive 6 button gamepad (or the Sega Saturn gamepad, since that was basically the same thing) and the Sega Dreamcast controller. If the XBOX 360 had a better d-pad it would be top on my list as well.
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:31 am

Wavebird
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:34 am

I like the playstation controllers and the SNES.
They were easy to play my games.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews