BioShock Infinite

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

BioShock Infinite

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:09 pm

http://www.bioshockinfinite.com

Kotaku wrote:The trailer teased a return to the underwater failed Utopia of Rapture, first seen in 2007's BioShock. But last night, we saw BioShock Infinite in action, a live demo. This next big thing from Ken Levine's Irrational Games is something different.

This is the BioShock of a floating city, of America in 1912, of a helpful damsel in semi-distress and of something called the Skyline.

BioShock Infinite Goes Beyond The Sea & Into The Skies"The time for silence is over," said Ken Levine, creative director of Irrational Games to a room full of reporters at New York's Plaza Hotel on Wednesday night, seconds before the BioShock Infinite trailer began. We were a controlled audience, our laptops and cell phones confiscated before we entered a small ballroom and sat in front of the stage and screen from which Irrational would show its new project. The news vans outside the hotel had not been for BioShock Infinite but for controversial Democrat Congressman Charlie Rangel, whose birthday party was one story above and whose House ethics investigation is ongoing.

Levine's team is one of the most acclaimed and secretive in game development. Since the '07 BioShock, which they made in partnership with 2K Australia, Irrational gave no hint about what they were working on, no clue that they were making another BioShock. They were not involved in this year's BioShock 2, which was created by several sister studios and was set in that undersea city of Rapture. But Irrational, which had, for a time, been known as 2K Boston, is indeed back on the franchise and allowed Wednesday night for their new trailer tease briefly that they were back on the virtual ocean floor.

Their trailer begins with a camera swoop across what appears to be ocean bottom, past an iconic BioShock Big Daddy. But that's just a trick, a look inside the fish tank of a man on the place where BioShock Infinite is really set, the early-20th century airborne crumbling metropolis of Columbia.

http://kotaku.com/5607451/bioshock-infinite-goes-beyond-the-sea--

Synopsis from Official Website:
"BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities."

Holy crap. This sounds promising. I'm happy to know that Levine is part of the team for this one.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:10 pm

True art is commercial.
Fish and Chips

Postby Peanut » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:44 pm

So, basically Irrational Games is making the sequel the first Bioshock deserved...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Peanut (post: 1416535) wrote:So, basically Irrational Games is making the sequel the first Bioshock deserved...

Wrong. It is a prequel!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Peanut » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1416538) wrote:Wrong. It is a prequel!

Oh...then I stand corrected. Either way it sounds like it should be really good...I hope..
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Wow can't wait it sounds awesome
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 am

Looks nice. I never played the second game, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 pm

MORE LIKE SKYOSHOCK AMIRITE?

Sorry I had to.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:52 am

So has there been any mention of which failed philosophy it's going to tackle?
blkmage

Postby Hohenheim » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:39 am

blkmage (post: 1416982) wrote:So has there been any mention of which failed philosophy it's going to tackle?

I was looking at the Kotaku link, and it mentions American exceptionalism and also jingoism. It ought to make for an interesting storyline for the game.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby ich1990 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Great, now the first one should be available for like $5. Time to go get it.

blkmage (post: 1416982) wrote:So has there been any mention of which failed philosophy it's going to tackle?

I guess that depends on your definition of failed]strong following[/URL] to this day.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:59 pm

ich1990 (post: 1417288) wrote:Great, now the first one should be available for like $5. Time to go get it.

I guess that depends on your definition of failed]strong following[/URL] to this day.

Try $15 :grin:
Eh I haven't played the whole first one so I don't really care about this prequel at this point.
Wolf-man

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Finally watched the trailer........Holy crap. I need to play Bioshock 1 again and then 2 and then Infinite
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:55 pm

ich1990 (post: 1417288) wrote:I guess that depends on your definition of failed]strong following[/URL] to this day.

Huge following does not mean it has not failed. XD

Fail epistemology is fail. =p
Hohenheim (post: 1416989) wrote:I was looking at the Kotaku link, and it mentions American exceptionalism and also jingoism. It ought to make for an interesting storyline for the game.

This is what really excites me. My political stance as of late has been rather... well... not gonna get into that. But I'm sure you can figure it out if I say that I like things that satirize/portrays exceptionalism and jingoism. =p
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ich1990 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:37 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1418254) wrote:Huge following does not mean it has not failed. XD

Fail epistemology is fail. =p

Which is why I said it depends on your definition of failed. You should know more than most how tricky words and their meanings can be. Thanks for explaining at any rate. With Objectivism being the favorite punching bag of the philosophical community, I think people tend to forget that it is actually a pretty major movement with numerous followers.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 am

Lol I know. I'm just being a silly butt. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews