Dragon Quest IX

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Dragon Quest IX

Postby OfficerSting » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:20 pm

I got Dragon Quest IX the other day and I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on the game.

I myself haven't gotten far, but from what I've played it seems pretty awesome. Maybe not as awesome as Dragon Quest VIII, in my opinion, but still very good.

Any thoughts or comments on the game, anyone?
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." [SIZE="2"]Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)[/SIZE]
OfficerSting

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm actually enjoying this a lot more than I expected. I just got my second fygg.

If I had one complaint about this game, it would be that class-specific spells don't carry over if you change classes like they did in 7. So if you get, say, a priest up to the level to learn Midheal and then change them to a mage, they forget Midheal. The only things that carry over between classes are skills. Which is better than nothing, but it sucks because changing Loto from a minstrel to an Armamentalist makes him way better in combat, but he lost his nice Heal and Midheal spells when I did so. And my priest is stuck being a priest forever because if I change her class I won't have a healer anymore.

So like I said, that's the one thing I have against it, I wish it was a bit more like 7's class system in that regard, but aside from that it's really a fantastic game.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cloud500 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:02 pm

I've already talked about this game a little in the "What game are you playing?" thread, but after getting a bit farther in the game, I'm liking it even more. I probably won't ever do much with the multiplayer as I don't know anyone with the game and if I'm walking around with the game in tag mode, I highly doubt that I'll pass anyone with the game; I'm sure tag mode worked great in Japan, but Dragon Quest doesn't have as large of a following here and I don't see many people carrying their DS's around anyway.

And what Nate mentioned about the spells not carrying over is annoying, but the game is still great. Overall, this is one of the best RPGs on the DS.
Cloud500

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews