Tips for a soon-to-be Xbox 360 owner

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Ok so I have been messing with my new 360 and I have a problem (already I know). It won't let me connect to the internet. Every time I test the connection it says "Can't obtain an IP address from router or modem"
I tried turning my modem off then on again to no avail. Can anyone help me?
Wolf-man

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:53 pm

So I finally got connected.
Thanks for all the help, advice, and reccomendations!
I bought six games today at gamestop's buy 2 get 1 free sale.
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
Left 4 Dead
Dead Rising
Resident Evil 5
Fallout 3
Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions

I find it funny that every game I bought either has a sequel or is a sequel. XD
Wolf-man

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:44 pm

*shakes head* No Deadly Premonition? Sad.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Huh? Deadly Premonition?
Wolf-man

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:36 am

Good call on them except for RE5 and Lost Planet. Well... RE5 was fun, but got boring after just one playthrough. Lost Planet just sucked.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:16 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1410146) wrote:Good call on them except for RE5 and Lost Planet. Well... RE5 was fun, but got boring after just one playthrough. Lost Planet just sucked.

Yes. It did. My WORD it sucked.

Firstly, the environment. All that white!
Secondly, I heard it had started its life as a Bionic Commando remake (this was before news of Rearmed and the failed next gen sequel) and this probably tainted my opinion of it, but... It didn't come close to living up to that idea, to give the short version.
Thirdly... it... just... wasn't... fun... I really don't get the following LP had.

I remember when Capcom went "We're going full multi-plat on everything" I got excited waiting for Dead Rising, and we got... this crap instead. And eventually get DR2, but with no Camera in it, which was my favorite part of the original game.

Good choice with Dead Rising. It's one of the most fun games this gen, even if it's not particularly deep. It's more fun than any RE game, that's for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:43 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1410152) wrote:Yes. It did. My WORD it sucked.

Firstly, the environment. All that white!
Secondly, I heard it had started its life as a Bionic Commando remake (this was before news of Rearmed and the failed next gen sequel) and this probably tainted my opinion of it, but... It didn't come close to living up to that idea, to give the short version.
Thirdly... it... just... wasn't... fun... I really don't get the following LP had.

I find it fun and apparently enough people agreed with me to give it a sequel. Though I have played a game on PS2 called Extermination which is very similar and I enjoyed that too.

I remember when Capcom went "We're going full multi-plat on everything" I got excited waiting for Dead Rising, and we got... this crap instead. And eventually get DR2, but with no Camera in it, which was my favorite part of the original game.

What does that mean? Sorry if that is a dumb question. Also, they got rid of the camera for DR2?

Good choice with Dead Rising. It's one of the most fun games this gen, even if it's not particularly deep. It's more fun than any RE game, that's for sure.

:shady: No...no its not. It may be more fun than 4 and I haven played 5 yet but the original RE games are way better zombie games. Not to say that Dead Rising isn't fun but still I am an RE fanboy and an RE fanboy i will stay. :grin:

One thing about Dead Rising though, it is taking forever to get to actually fighting the zombies.

I had a question regarding Xbox live. For buying things it will have a little symbol next the cost. I thought they were gamer points but it says I have 40 gamer points on my account and when i try to buy something it says I have 0
So are the symbols for different kinds of points?
Wolf-man

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 am

Wolf-man (post: 1410164) wrote:What does that mean? Sorry if that is a dumb question. Also, they got rid of the camera for DR2?

Yes. They're going to have a different non-violent gimmick, but I have no clue what it is yet. And what I meant was Capcom said no more exclusive games (except wii games that won't port... Until the Move comes out, anyhow... still won't work with Kinect) so every capcom game on 360 would be on PS3 too... Except... Dead Rising 1. The only Capcom published, disc based game I wanted this gen (MM9 and BCR don't count, because those are downloadables)

:shady: No...no its not. It may be more fun than 4 and I haven played 5 yet but the original RE games are way better zombie games. Not to say that Dead Rising isn't fun but still I am an RE fanboy and an RE fanboy i will stay. :grin:

To each his own. I can't stand the RE games. Zombies are the bottom of the horror totem pole, but at least DR lets me have fun with them. Use anything as a weapon, take funny pictures, whatever.

One thing about Dead Rising though, it is taking forever to get to actually fighting the zombies.

Well, it IS Capcom. They're not just gonna drop you in the mall already infested... YOu have to see the stupid people LETTING THE ZOMBIES IN and getting killed. They had to do the setup.

I had a question regarding Xbox live. For buying things it will have a little symbol next the cost. I thought they were gamer points but it says I have 40 gamer points on my account and when i try to buy something it says I have 0
So are the symbols for different kinds of points?

Microsoft Points, or whatever they're called, is how your money is treated. It's a universal "currency" so the games could be the same in MS points, but the MS points cost different amounts of money throughout the world... Or something... Wii does the same thing. I think it's stupid.\

Gamerpoints are just how many achievements you've gotten, or the worth of those achievements. It adds up to your total gamerscore. At this point, you'll never catch up to the real achievement (indiscriminates) out there, but it can be fun to show off having done something difficult in a game, or a perfect score for your favorite game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:58 am

Nate (post: 1410102) wrote:*shakes head* No Deadly Premonition? Sad.

Fk in the coffee. Deadly premonition is one of the cheesiest horror games ever. At one point a squirrel makes a monkey noise XD. So many things wrong with it but thats ok because its histerical. Alan wake is what you need though
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Nate » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:49 am

No, he needs Deadly Premonition.

It is the best worst game ever made.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:14 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1410175) wrote:Fk in the coffee. Deadly premonition is one of the cheesiest horror games ever. At one point a squirrel makes a monkey noise XD. So many things wrong with it but thats ok because its histerical. Alan wake is what you need though

lol ok I will have to rent this just to appease Nate. XD

I really want Alan Wake. I keep hearing so many good things about it.

Bobtheduck wrote:Microsoft Points, or whatever they're called, is how your money is treated. It's a universal "currency" so the games could be the same in MS points, but the MS points cost different amounts of money throughout the world... Or something... Wii does the same thing. I think it's stupid.

Gamerpoints are just how many achievements you've gotten, or the worth of those achievements. It adds up to your total gamerscore. At this point, you'll never catch up to the real achievement (indiscriminates) out there, but it can be fun to show off having done something difficult in a game, or a perfect score for your favorite game.

Ok so how to do i get the points in order to buy stuff from Arcade? Do I have to actually spend money to get these MS points?
Wolf-man

Postby Okami » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Wolf-man (post: 1410255) wrote:lol ok I will have to rent this just to appease Nate. XD

I really want Alan Wake. I keep hearing so many good things about it.

Ok so how to do i get the points in order to buy stuff from Arcade? Do I have to actually spend money to get these MS points?

I keep hearing good things on Alan Wake too. Also considering it's a Psychological thriller, it's all the more my style. I saw it, just days after it was released, used in a store. I was like "Well obviously someone didn't run it in the ground and achievement grind. o.o" Seriously, the game was release like two or three days prior. I was like "No one can beat a game to 100% in that amount of time!"

Yes, you do need to spend money to get Microsoft Points. It's like $20 for 1600. Gamestop is your best bet if you don't want to enter credit card information to buy them. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Wolf-man (post: 1410164) wrote:I find it fun and apparently enough people agreed with me to give it a sequel. Though I have played a game on PS2 called Extermination which is very similar and I enjoyed that too.

It's not that it isn't fun, per se. But there are PLENTY of other 3rd Person Shooters on the market which are worth more investment than Lost Planet. Like Gears of War and Mass Effect.

And trust me on this one. Get Mass Effect. DO IT. It's one of the most critically acclaimed games of this generation (By Bioware, of course). You will not regret it. It has action, great characters, great plot, and very high replay value. And the sequel is even better.

And also by Bioware, go check out Dragon Age.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mister Frodo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Have to agree with Ryan on Mass Effect. It and its sequel are both two of my favorite 360 games. I'd also throw in my vote for Halo 3, but... I dunno, not everyone likes Halo. XD And if you have games you like better, you should probably get them.

Left 4 Dead 2 is, in my opinion, a better game than the first Left 4 Dead (more weapons! more zombies! more variety!), but since you have Left 4 Dead, I don't think it's such a huge upgrade to splurge money on it. Especially if you have friends or people on Xbox Live who will play Left 4 Dead with you, since that's... pretty much the best way to play Left 4 Dead. XD Also, some prefer Left 4 Dead's atmosphere and characters (which I can't blame them for), so L4D2 may not be your cup of tea.

And while I really like Dragon Age, I've heard that the console versions aren't as good as the PC version; lesser graphics, more simplified combat, etc. Not sure if you have a PC good enough to run the game, and I've heard the console versions are still fun, just that the PC game is better. Of course, I'm the guy who bought the game for PC, then promptly turned the difficulty down to Easy and completely ignored the intricacies of the combat, so I'm probably not the most qualified to talk about that. XD
Mister Frodo

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:11 pm

I recommend; Banjo Kazoie: Nuts & Bolts, and Halo Wars.

Both are unique and a ton of fun, also Banjo Kazoie really shows of the graphics of the console.

However Since they're both so unique I also recommend you get a demo or rent them before you buy them in case there not what you're looking for.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:18 pm

[quote="Mister Frodo (post: 1410303)"]And while I really like Dragon Age, I've heard that the console versions aren't as good as the PC version]
Correct. If you can, get the PC version. If you can't, the 360/PS3 versions are worthy alternatives. Some differences in gameplay and difficulty, but that's it. (Basically PC version plays more like an MMORPG or you can switch to a 3rd Person Action Adventure and it's a little more difficult, whereas the 360/PS3 is just the Action-Adventure type of game.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:23 am

So why no recomendations for Batman Arkam Asylum. Great game one of the best 3rd person games of this generation. Also Gear of war 1 and 2 are freaking awesome.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:35 am

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1410366) wrote:So why no recomendations for Batman Arkam Asylum. Great game one of the best 3rd person games of this generation. Also Gear of war 1 and 2 are freaking awesome.

Ahh, Arkham Asylum. I can't believe I left that off my [SIZE="1"]giant[/SIZE] list 'o games. Also to agree with you an reiterate what I said earlier, those games were just dang fun. Something very visceral and satisfying about sawing your oponents in half.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Wolf-man » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Yeah I just thought about that. I really want Arkham Asylum. It's Batman so that automatically means it is awesome. Plus Kevin Conroy reprises his role as Batman and Mark Hamill reprises his role as the Joker. Having the best voice actors that have ever played those roles returning to play the roles they made great is so cool!
Wolf-man

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:14 am

Wolf-man (post: 1410623) wrote:Yeah I just thought about that. I really want Arkham Asylum. It's Batman so that automatically means it is awesome. Plus Kevin Conroy reprises his role as Batman and Mark Hamill reprises his role as the Joker. Having the best voice actors that have ever played those roles returning to play the roles they made great is so cool!

It is, pretty much, the closest you'll ever feel to being Batman, as well. They nailed just about everything. If nothing else, boot up a Live Silver account and download the demo.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 pm

Oh I am planning on downloading the demo and eventually will buy the game.
btw, my gamertag is Wolfman451
So anyone who wants to request me go right ahead. Just if your gamertag is different than your CAA username then send me a message telling me who you are.
Wolf-man

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Hey I had a question: I wanted to buy a bag for my 360. Will any 360 designed messenger bag work? Or is there one that is best for the slim 360
Wolf-man

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews