Heavy Rain

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Heavy Rain

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am

If you hate movie heavy games like MGS4, this game is not for you. Don't even bother. Really. I mean it. If you hated MGS4 for being too cut scene heavy, you shouldn't even bother. Do yourself a favor, and everyone who enjoys stuff like this too so they don't have to hear you whine about it. I'm gonna call MGS4 the base level. There will be people who love MGS4 who will hate this because it goes much further down that path toward movie.

I'm serious. It's one thing if something comes out in a Genre you like and you complain about it. Ok, it's your Genre. But if someone who, say, doesn't like slashers wanders into a thread about Nightmare or Jason and complains about how they always go straight for the arrogant teens, or someone who doesn't like tokusatsu wanders into every thread about Kamen Rider or Godzilla and just doesn't get those rubber suits and feels the need to tell people that, well... Then you've got a problem.

If you don't like QTEs, well... That IS a bit different. Because this uses QTEs in a way that no previous game has (except maybe Indigo prophecy, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure not even IP did) this could change your mind or solidify your hatred for them, depending.

It's entirely dependent on QTEs, but from what I've played so far, rather than being distracting, they form the basis for enjoying the story, because there is so much subtlety. Those inconsequential things you always see in cut scenes that never happen in normal gameplay? You have control over them. That alone makes this experience unique.

So, who has played the demo on PSN, or... is it out, I don't know... Hard to keep track. In any case, I just played through the first demo, with the cop, and I gotta say, I like what I'm seeing. This is what I was expecting when I first played Dragon's Lair back in the eighties, spending a dollar on a game I didn't get further than half a minute into. In any case, I can tell already this isn't like anything I've ever experienced in a game. Granted, I never played its predecessor, Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit and I know this is just supposed to be an evolution of that, so I would like to give that one a shot.

One thing on the negative side is that issues like clipping become even more distracting in something like this... I was looking at the dead body and his head was going through the sheet.

This game oozes atmosphere. Ignoring the "dark and stormy night" backdrop, they actually seem to be making the rain part of the Killer's thing (because it washes away some clues, I guess?) and the little computer glasses thing is pretty cool. It's a detective game, and you can go a number of ways with it all.

I think this will be a purchase, once I finish the games I currently own (or, at least most of them) I'm not buying any more games until I've finished the ones I got. It's just not right to keep buying games when I have ones to finish, but this will be a purchase once that time comes. I'm liking what I see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby LiquidOcelot » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm definitely going to play Heavy Rain.

And, I loved MGS4. As if that isn't obvious! hehe

I find it very disappointing that the video game market is over-saturated with the same type of games. Shooters, sports, racing and all the music games.

I'm glad there is something very different when it comes to Heavy Rain. Story and movie heavy.

I know there are people that will complain. But, I wonder why they should complain so heavily (which might happen). When this type of game is so rare. Again, I wish there was more variety with games. But, it seems like anything that is rather unique gets overlooked or treated as a curiosity.
LiquidOcelot

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 pm

I loved Quantic Dreams' last title, and I'd intensely love to get this game. I just need to achieve PS3 ownership. Which will happen after I pay off my PC. Maybe. Someday. >.>
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby LiquidOcelot » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm

I did get to play a demo for Indigo Prophecy. But, haven't played the full game yet. Someday, I will have to try and get it.

There are suddenly quite a few games on the horizon that look very interesting. Like Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII and Yakuza 3.

Why do they all have to come out around the same time? In fact, FFXIII and Yakuza 3 come out on the same date.
LiquidOcelot

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 pm

I plan to get this in the future. I played Indigo Prophecy and liked it a lot, and this sounded pretty interesting. The graphics look pretty awesome from what I've seen.

The only thing In this that I'm a little hesitant about is the stuff I've heard about how there's no real "game over" conditions in the game. If you miss some clues in your investigation, or let a suspect escape, or something like that, the game just goes on from there. If you mess things up so much that your character actually dies...then the game just goes on without that character in the story. Sounds like a pretty cool idea, and its definitly unique in the world of games...but I'm sure its also going to make the game pretty complex. I can see myself needing a stratigy guide to figure out what choices and actions lead to the optimal presentation of the story, and with so many possibilities, you;d probably have to play the game a zillion times to be able to see everything. I'm hoping that it will have a good save system, so you can go back to earlier points in the narrative and make different choices.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:01 pm

I have been watching the cut scenes for this game. Someone has already beat it and it came out on the 23rd in the US.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:35 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1376401) wrote:I have been watching the cut scenes for this game. Someone has already beat it and it came out on the 23rd in the US.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]

Thing is, it will play a bit different every time. About... I'd guess at 90% of the game is "cut scenes" but depending on what you do, the scenes will change subtly, and dramatically if a lot of things change.

I played the "Sleazy place" portion of the demo about 5 times. It was different every time, but the whole thing played like a "cut scene"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:30 pm

I watched a let's play of Heavy Rain on youtube.

Greatest game I've ever played.
Fish and Chips

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:57 pm

If I owned a PS3, that might be the first game I'll buy...
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:35 pm

I was really looking forward to this game back when I knew nothing about it. As it stands now, though . . . maybe I'll rent it sometime.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Myoti » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:39 pm

I absolutely hated MGS4, with the cutscenes, yes, being most of the problem.

I loved Heavy Rain. Go figure.
Myoti

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Waiting patiently for this game to show up from Play Asia. It's 65 bucks, free shipping. About even with Amazon's 59 dollars, 5 for shipping, but it should be faster since it comes out of Hong Kong rather than the US.

Should be faster. It's been a bit over a week so far.
Bobtheduck

Postby Rocketshipper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:41 am

If its 59 dollars on amazon, then the shipping should be free. They offer free shipping on just about any order, if its over 29 dollars. Of course, they're free shipping takes longer than regular shipping...
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:00 pm

I finished that game on the release day. I really liked it, interactive movie suits it just fine, but it was a very enjoyable experience.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:05 am

Rocketshipper (post: 1388701) wrote:If its 59 dollars on amazon, then the shipping should be free. They offer free shipping on just about any order, if its over 29 dollars. Of course, they're free shipping takes longer than regular shipping...

Free shipping only applies if they're shipping in the US. Thankfully it's only 5 bucks to Korea. I don't know how places like Amazon get such huge discounts on international shipping.
Bobtheduck

Postby mastersquirrel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Went over to Link Antilles' house and finished the game in one sitting. He and my brother watched as I played. Very enjoyable game with a good story to boot.

The addition of riffing provided by the three of us also made it an incredibly hilarious experience as well.
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:55 am

mastersquirrel (post: 1389055) wrote:The addition of riffing provided by the three of us also made it an incredibly hilarious experience as well.

I was sick tday, so I played my new game. Every time it did one of those BeV with the umbrellas, I kept thinking "And kids, your mother was at that party." Except the umbrellas were all black. I guess I should have been thinking "Burning up..."

There were other times I made fun of it, too... I unfortunately had the identity of the killer spoiled for me, so every time it was the killer's scenes, I would make comments about it... I can't remember the exact scenes, though.

I got the best ending, like I usually do in multiple ending games (except CT and CC, actually, as the good endings are much more difficult.) The scene with [spoiler]Madison in the fire[/spoiler] was incredibly difficult, and I repeated it about 10 times... My controllers took beatings during the play of this game, and one of them just died on me. I'll need to replace it.

The scene everyone makes fun of ("Jaaaason!") was as bad as people said, but what was worse was that it is repeated a couple times. That, and the end of the scene (the first time) was really badly played out.

I didn't look up any faqs until the hospital scene, because I couldn't figure out the orchid thing for the life of me. I just forgot about it by the time I got into the room. It shouldn't be a spoiler, just make sure no one else has this problem: When there's nothing left to do in the room, go back for the orchids in the hall.

The game glitched during the last battle... I died a couple times because the two characters on the platform disappeared, along with the platform, until my character was strangled, and everything magically came back.

Game was good, but far too stressful for me to have played while sick.
Bobtheduck

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews