"Christian game" - released, so the empty hype label is debateable

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:04 pm

Peanut (post: 1340374) wrote:I would just like to say, those new screen shots are awesome...

I do agree with this statement.

Though it makes me wonder what "EXTREME FISHING" entails. I'll have to wait and see, I suppose. :D
goldenspines

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm

Note the numbers in the first post. Once I recover from stat burnout, I only need to test the final secret dungeon and then the balancing stage of the game is done. That means that the only things remaining are the persistent bugs I still haven't managed to figure out, as well as a number of new features I think will really help the game overall.

After that are the alpha and beta phases. I'm not sure exactly how those will go, but the important thing is that the vast majority of the work is done.

goldenspines wrote:Though it makes me wonder what "EXTREME FISHING" entails. I'll have to wait and see, I suppose. :D

It is perhaps my favorite piece of optional content in the entire game. It is extreme. You have played fishing minigames before, but never like this.
uc pseudonym

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 pm

The version of RPG maker you're using, is it the one with the proprietary programming language? If so, about how hard was that to pick up? Would you say it would be difficult for a complete noob?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Closing in on the final additions and bugs. I can fortunately say that in the process of working on these I've significantly improved several minor aspects of the game, including the menu.

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:The version of RPG maker you're using, is it the one with the proprietary programming language? If so, about how hard was that to pick up? Would you say it would be difficult for a complete noob?

Both XP and VX do, I believe. The language itself reads pretty simply and I haven't had any trouble modifying the scripts I've used. However, the way the engine is set up, it encourages you to use the pre-developed systems, which are a cross between convenient and frustratingly limiting (generally they're a "click button to add function or start array" affair).

Fortunately, the community is filled with people who have scripted many custom features, so you can do quite a bit even with limited coding knowledge... which is rather the point of the engine in the first place.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 pm

I guess it actually hasn't been that long, but I'm bumping my thread again for a good reason. The game can be considered to be in beta right now. Anyone who is interested, mention it here and you'll get a PM from me with the link.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:48 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1341129) wrote:It is perhaps my favorite piece of optional content in the entire game. It is extreme. You have played fishing minigames before, but never like this.

Aww, now I'm reminded of Dark Cloud II ^^ The fishing game in that was pretty fun ^^ I'm not all that big into fishing games, but that was cute 8D

I already gave my answer elsewhere, but I'm game (get it. ) ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Peanut » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:40 pm

I'll sign up for the beta.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Consider my interest mentioned.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:19 am

I'm in.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:22 am

If I can download it, I'm in. Though could I get an approximate run time?
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 pm

EDIT TO BE READ: I keep forgetting to mention this, but opening the menu is now done with the A key. It works better, but not if you don't know that.

I've sent messages to everyone who posted here. You'll note the file is about the same size as the demo. That's because the demo actually contained almost the entire game, most of the files were just inactive. If any of you have VX for some reason there's also a light version available.

Tsukuyomi wrote:The fishing game in that was pretty fun ^^ I'm not all that big into fishing games, but that was cute 8D

Believe me, this is the perfect fishing game for people who don't like fishing minigames.

Fish and Chips wrote:Though could I get an approximate run time?

Having no tester other than myself, I'm not sure. You're looking at 10+ hours depending on optional content.
uc pseudonym

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Question, can these games support a game pad?
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:33 pm

I should probably have posted this a while ago for anyone who doesn't like a blanket request for feedback. All testers, it would be nice if you read the following:

1) Any and all feedback is appreciated. Random thoughts, overall criticism, balancing issues, plot questions, etc. I guess there is probably feedback I wouldn't appreciate, but it would have to be along the lines of "needs more naked, morbidly obese people."
2) Definitely mention any potential bugs or spelling/grammar errors. This includes tiles that seem out of place.
3) I put a fair amount of effort into planning the music, but this didn't always get implemented. If any area of the game seems inappropriately scored, mention it. I might have just forgotten to reset the music, or maybe I should make a change.
4) Please tell me which optional challenges you did. You will probably know them if you play them, because they'll be a step up from normal enemies and have unique attacks.
5) Naturally, I appreciate plot comments most of all. Especially what you're thinking/thought about characters.

I'm in no hurry for these. Give a few comments throughout, collect them all at the end, whatever works for you. With one exception: once the first person finishes the game entirely, mention it immediately. At this point I can then upload the game more places with complete confidence that it works.

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:Question, can these games support a game pad?

I do not know, and I do not have one to test. It's possible. The engine itself has a number of "buttons" that your scripts map onto specific keyboard keys, so it could very well be that these also map onto a game pad.
uc pseudonym

Postby shade of dae » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm interested. However, I'm travelling at the moment and don't have my own computer, so it may take a while before I can sit down and play through the game.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby Garland » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:26 pm

Is this mac compatible? I am interested in testing it either way but it is easier to run apps on my mac.
I, Garland, will knock you all down!-Garland (FF1)

Gruve Nitro's website
Gruve Nitro is a band whose genre is considered (by me) "Christian Funk." It is based off the old Earth Wind and Fire style, and some of the original players play on the album as well as Ray Parker Jr. (from the Ghostbusters theme)

Fortune Cookie:Behind an able man, there are always.
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:39 am

shade of dae wrote:I'm interested. However, I'm travelling at the moment and don't have my own computer, so it may take a while before I can sit down and play through the game.

It is likely that when you do have the opportunity, I will have taken the game out of beta and you can play the improved version.

Garland wrote:Is this mac compatible? I am interested in testing it either way but it is easier to run apps on my mac.

I'm afraid not (the VX in the name actually refers to the fact that it was made for Vista, though any Windows system can run it). The file actually doesn't install anything, it runs out of a self-extracting folder.
uc pseudonym

Postby CephasWhite » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Hey UC, I would love the link to your game, I'm sending you a PM this moment.

Also, just wanted to mention, your first game "Antagonist" was great for being it your first game(correct me if I'm wrong). It had a good plot, storyline and battle system.

"A Bloody Peace" looks AWESOME! I assume your intention was to make this like a Final Fantasy game. After playing FFVII through XII, and some of the first few Final Fantasies, and then playing this, it was like playing another part of the excellent sagas, like "A Bloody Peace" was supposed to be in the first 6 of the FF due to it's animation and graphics (from pixalated to animated)

The characters are believable, the storyline so far is good, the battle system is good except for one, being you can't see your character fight, just the actions themselves and that was something to get used to.

Music is awesome! Same style as in FFVII. Truth be told, it was something I expected in a game like this :grin:

The Art is wonderful. I want to know who did the faces, the full body and the bust art? :wow!:

It's an awesome demo all in all. Can't wait to continue it and critique it some more! :)
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:25 pm

I think this is the best place to catch everyone beta-testing the game. Thank you for your responses through various mediums, but there's finally an update that requires me to bump this thread.

Everyone should re-download the game. There is a bug that causes the game to freeze when you enter the ruins south of Irisberg. If you're not there yet it hurts nothing to keep playing, but you might as well. A number of earlier bugs are also fixed and it might improve your experience slightly.

Your original links will still work, now downloading the new version (I can provide the link again on request, or ask ich1990/CephasWhite if they're around). Simply remove all your saved files from the game's folder (labeled "Save1", "Save2" etc), overwrite the original folder with the downloaded one, and then replace your save files.

Continuing summary of known errors in the old version:
- Do not enter the pyramid before the plot requires.
- To finish the pyramid, you must exit on the right side instead of backtracking to the left.
- When returning to Irisberg, do not head through the fence in the south or you will replay an older part of the game.
uc pseudonym

Postby CephasWhite » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Thanks UC. :) I will provide the link to others if needed. :thumb:
†††††††††††††

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:43 pm

I didn't want to provide a new link for just this, but some of you are reaching the end of the game. If anyone is planning to skip all the sidequests and enter the final area, tell me so I can put up a new version.

There's not a game ending bug, exactly, but I noticed that my finger slipped and the HP of the final boss is an order of magnitude beyond what it should be. So unless chipping away at 200 000+ HP sounds fun to you, an update would be a good idea. For the time being I'll hold off in case I can put this together with other fixes.
uc pseudonym

hey

Postby KupoTony » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:29 pm

it's an honor pseudo...
I wanted to always try an Christian Anime RolePlaying game.
I can't try your demo though,since I don't have internet at home hooked to a computer,I only been using my Wii as is connected to a network not mine,and can't run your game.
only specific flash games I can play.

My cousins are working in a flash RTS((RPG)game on flash.
They said they were gonna send me the software and tools so I can start developing too,but haven't got them.

Are you striving to go a Third Party Developer for home consoles too,in the future.
[color="Blue"]
[/color]The Divine Trinity of Holiness:
Love.
Righteousness.
Justice.
Both in series and paralleled,Tangeable,Independant of Itself,but dependable to each other.
KupoTony

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:20 pm

The game is only around 50mb and uses few resources, so if you have any kind of computer at all and a way to transfer files it might be possible.

KupoTony wrote:Are you striving to go a Third Party Developer for home consoles too,in the future.

In brief, no. That's a difficult path that requires a lot of resources as well as artistic skills that I do not possess. I enjoy working with games, but realistically speaking it isn't anything more than an occasional hobby.
uc pseudonym

Postby CephasWhite » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:17 am

UC, how do I get in the pyramid? I restarted the game from the beginning without going there and I'm back where Irene goes to the pyramid. I've been travelling the map for over an hour and I can't find the key to unlock the seal. Is there something I'm missing? Is this a flaw?

Please help, I want to get through this part badly!
†††††††††††††

CephasWhite

Postby CephasWhite » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:19 am

UC, how do I get in the pyramid? I restarted the game from the beginning without going there and I'm back where Irene goes to the pyramid. I've been travelling the map for over an hour and I can't find the key to unlock the seal. Is there something I'm missing? Is this a flaw?

Please help, I want to get through this part badly!

(sorry for the double post, I didn't know if it got posted or not :sweat: )
CephasWhite

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Upon investigation, it looks like I introduced a new bug when I was fixing the problem with the pyramid. There's not anything you need to find to open the pyramid, it should be unlocked by the time Irene needs to enter. I've corrected this error and the new version is uploading now.

Do you have a save that's before the game switches from Risa to Irene? If so, on the new version you can play from that point and everything should be fine (the variable changes in the last scene in the jungle). If not, either you'll have to replay, or I can make a special version with the pyramid unlocked for you.
uc pseudonym

Postby CephasWhite » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:54 pm

I made a save file just as you said where Risa changes to Irene with a separate file for Irene's adventure in the pyramid...the only problem is Irene has gone up a few levels with a few upgrades, would I be able to use that save file and transfer it to your special version? If you could that would be great!

Please PM me the address when you get the chance UC. This game is challenging and exciting.
†††††††††††††

CephasWhite

Postby Syreth » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:44 pm

I played the demo and loved it. It seems like you have a solid framework in place for the rest of the story, and it's sparked my interest to play the full version. Send me the link for the full version, if you like.
Syreth

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm glad to see you here, Syreth. Technically the game is in beta, but other than some bugs like those discussed in this thread it should be fully playable. In theory once my beta testers get back to me with full feedback I'll polish the game and perhaps tweak balance issues. But if you would like to play it now, I've sent you the link.

CephasWhite wrote:I made a save file just as you said where Risa changes to Irene with a separate file for Irene's adventure in the pyramid...the only problem is Irene has gone up a few levels with a few upgrades, would I be able to use that save file and transfer it to your special version? If you could that would be great!

I have an idea that should be easier on both of us. I've sent you a link to a temporary version of the game that should sidestep this bug neatly.
uc pseudonym

Postby Syreth » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks, UC. If it would be helpful, I could give you some feedback as well.
Syreth

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:03 pm

My new Game exe. doesn't work 8( I keep getting an error message 8(
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews