Game Suggestions for a PS2

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Game Suggestions for a PS2

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 pm

So, as of this weekend, I have come under the possession of a PS2. Yet, I have no games for it. So, I'm going to do something a little odd and put myself up to suggestions for games I should buy.

Currently, the only game I am definitely going to be buying for this system is Persona 4. However, I do have a list of games which I will be buying eventually:

-MGS2/3 (if I don't borrow them from Ryan)
-.hack//Infection and the games that follow
-Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2
-Katamari Damacy
-Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
-Odin Sphere
-Rouge Galaxy
-NCAA 2010 (maybe...)

For the most part, I seem to be looking for RPGs. Though, I'm open to playing just about anything, so any suggestion would be appreciated.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ADXC » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:17 am

Ok Rocklobster. I will give my PS2 RPG(The ones that I own and like) list for you.

-Kingdom Hearts 1 and2
-Star Ocean 3
-Shadow Hearts 2
-Rogue Galaxy
-Full Metal Alchemist 1 and 2
-Tales of Legendia
-Tales of the Abyss
-Radiata Stories
-Grandia 3
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Final Fantasy X and XII
-Ar Tonelico 1 and 2
-Growlanser:Heritage of War
-Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask
-Lupin the III

Non-RPG but still good
-Sly Cooper 1, 2, and 3 (If you enjoy being a raccoon theif. It is really fun I think.)
ADXC

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 am

If you don't mind hack and slash games, then I recommend Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. I got DMC3 and FFXII a few months ago when I first got a PS2. DMC3 is awesome; FFXII is average.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Odin Sphere is highly recommended by me, as is every Nippon Ichi-developed tactical RPG (Disgaea 1 and 2, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Soul Nomad and the World Eaters).
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Kkun » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Devil May Cry 1 and 3, Final Fantasy X and XII (XII's story is mediocre at best, but I think the gameplay is stellar and I actually enjoyed doing all of the sidequests), Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (mainly for Street Fighter 3: Third Strike), The Lord of the Rings games are fun hack-n-slash if you enjoyed the books and films, Sky Gunner is a cute game with great animation.

Avoid the .hack// games for all you're worth. ESPECIALLY Infection, Outbreak, etc. etc. They will only frustrate you by the end. The story is good, but not worth it.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Shadow of the Colossus is a must-have for any PS2.

If you're into mecha games, there's Armored Core Nexus and Armored Core Last Raven that are pretty good. Highly customizable and pretty fun.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Apart from what's already been mentioned here:

We Love Katamari
Silent Hill 2
Psychonauts
Beyond Good & Evil
ICO
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Also, Crimbly, your sig pic is freakin' awesome.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:12 pm

GEt Killer 7. It's uber cheap. Just imagine an on-rails adventure game with an insane story. Plus it's by Suda 51.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 pm

Others have given a pretty good listing of recommended RPGs.
I'll add to this recommendations of Suikoden V, Wild Arms 5, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, and Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana as RPGs I enjoyed. You also might want to check out Persona 3: FES.

As far as more action-oriented stuff goes, I really enjoyed Okami, a Zelda-esque action/adventure game based on Japanese mythology, and the Jak and Daxter trilogy.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:55 pm

MasterDias (post: 1330719) wrote:Others have given a pretty good listing of recommended RPGs.
I'll add to this recommendations of Suikoden V, Wild Arms 5, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, and Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana as RPGs I enjoyed. You also might want to check out Persona 3: FES.

As far as more action-oriented stuff goes, I really enjoyed Okami, a Zelda-esque action/adventure game based on Japanese mythology, and the Jak and Daxter trilogy.

Oh shoot, how could I have forgotten Okami? :thumb:
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Peanut » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Monkey J. Luffy (post: 1330716) wrote:GEt Killer 7. It's uber cheap. Just imagine an on-rails adventure game with an insane story. Plus it's by Suda 51.

Already own it for the Gamecube...haven't played it yet, but I know its amazing.

Peanut

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Pretty much every RPG ever made that is good that can be played on PS1 or PS2.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Peanut wrote:-NCAA 2010 (maybe...)

From my understanding, NCAA 2010 is about the same as NCAA 2009, just with few new uniforms for some teams.

I'm still waiting to find out what teams have new uniforms in this years game. If its not that big of a deal, then I'm going to keep NCAA 2009.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1331372) wrote:From my understanding, NCAA 2010 is about the same as NCAA 2009, just with few new uniforms for some teams.

I'm still waiting to find out what teams have new uniforms in this years game. If its not that big of a deal, then I'm going to keep NCAA 2009.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]

Hmmm...I'll have to keep that in mind. The main reason I'm even thinking of getting 2010 is because the version of 2009 that I have is for the Wii and has half the content of every other version of NCAA 2009 out there...so its more of a question of whether I want to stick with my version of NCAA 09 now and wait until next year to by a new NCAA game for another console, or upgrade now and be done with all the problems I have with NCAA 2009 on the Wii.

I could probably get away with buying 2009 for the PS2...but it would kind of be fun to have the updated rosters.

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Peanut wrote:Hmmm...I'll have to keep that in mind. The main reason I'm even thinking of getting 2010 is because the version of 2009 that I have is for the Wii and has half the content of every other version of NCAA 2009 out there...so its more of a question of whether I want to stick with my version of NCAA 09 now and wait until next year to by a new NCAA game for another console, or upgrade now and be done with all the problems I have with NCAA 2009 on the Wii.

I could probably get away with buying 2009 for the PS2...but it would kind of be fun to have the updated rosters.

IMO, 2009 for the PS2 was one of the best version since 2006. The only thing that has bug me as so many teams got infractions that cause them to be on TV in the game. That is the only thing that I have to say about about 2009.

I want to find out if they fix this and what or which teams have the new uniforms for 2010.

So far, fans are not happy with 2010 on Xbox 360 and PS3 and some are even going back and buying it for the PS2 or Xbox. There was some changes to it, but not what fans had hope for to match the level of 2009 on the PS2.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby animaniac » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:32 am

killzone is ok
katamari damacy is AMAZING!

idk i never had a PS2 i had a GC
:dance:i like bannas because they have no bones:dance:
animaniac

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:57 pm

animaniac wrote:killzone is ok
katamari damacy is AMAZING!

idk i never had a PS2 i had a GC

We Love Katamari is even better. It gives you different objectives for each level instead of just "get X big in X amount of time." Oddly enough, the two subsequent games (Me and My Katamari; Beautiful Katamari) returned to the old formula. They're still good, just a bit disappointing that way.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Shadow of the Colossus... my favorite PS2 game.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Since you're getting KH/2, I won't suggest that, but If you want rpgs, and like KH, then you MUST play Final Fantasy. I-VI were remade for PS1, VII-IX were already on PS1, and X-XII are on PS2.
S.M.O.G.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:28 am

But you need a PS1 memory card right?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Whitefang » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:34 am

Yes, you need a PS1 memory card for the PS1 games when using a PS2 console (or leave the PS2 on with the memo file saved or the game running...and hope the power doesn't go out and that you can finish the game relatively quickly).
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:43 am

But you need a PS1 memory card right?

Yes, for PS1 games. Speaking of which, pick up Final Fantasy Chronicles, if you're looking for a great PS1 RPG (though, technically, it's not a PS1 game - it's a port of FF4 and Chrono Trigger, from the SNES, together in one spiffy package.)

If you like racing games, try out Gran Turismo 4, an incredibly deep and realistic driving simulation, or Burnout Revenge, which is basically a Michael Bay video game (i.e., lots of explosions and car wrecks).

The Ratchet and Clank series is good if you're looking for a platformer. Especially one with big guns.

And for shmups, R-Type Final looks pretty solid, though I haven't tried it or anything.

Anyway, I got a PS2 a couple weeks back (currently have Gran Turismo 3 and Nascar '05, both very good so far) so I'll be watching this thread.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Riggidig » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Got me a PS2 about 6 months ago. Currently my favourite game is STILL The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. That game just plain ROCKS. Also have Dead or Alive 2, Tekken 5, Soul Caliber 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Rayman Revolution, Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, Ultimate Spider-Man, SNK vs CapCom, Smackdown vs Raw 2006, Worms 3D, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends 2, Dragonball Z Budokai 3 (not that fond of the Tenkaichi series) and The Bouncer. I did own Kindgom Hearts and God of War at one stage, but didn't really like those games. Strangely enough I played Burnout 2 the other day and it was AWESOME (I'm not a fan of racing games but this was actually quite fun). I'd also like to get my hands on CapCom Fighting Jam (CapCom Fighting Evolution in the States), as well as any other CapCom fighter out there, but seeing as most of those games are quite old by now they're really hard to come by. I also played War of the Monsters recently and that's one FUN game for you and your mates to play against each other.

I'm actually thinking of giving away my PS2 to an underprivileged kid in November for his birthday, so I may not have it for that much longer though.
Riggidig

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:52 am

If you're into 2d fighters at all, Guilty Gear X2 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 are both great ones, but MVC2 is pretty expensive these days, I believe.

Outside of those, here are some other games I've really enjoyed (I'll add the genre where I can):

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (RPG)
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Black (FPS)
Socom (all of them, F/TPS)
Resident Evil 4 (TPS)
Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3
Armored Core (any of them, I have Last Raven, specifically, mech games)
Hitman (all of them, TPS)
Flatout (racing)
Wipeout (racing)
Burnout (racing)

Don't have many RPGs in my colelction, sorry. I've played both Kingdom Hearts games as well, the first was pretty good, but thusfar I haven't been very impressed with the second. It's been fun, but very easy on the normal difficulty.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:59 pm

I suggested this one last night, but I'm not sure if you heard/saw :P

After you play Katamari Damacy, you should play We Love Katamari \o.o/ Same plot and w/n, but more stages (I think) and more things to pick up \o.o/
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews