[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Biggest "Oh, CRAP" moments. - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Biggest "Oh, CRAP" moments.

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Biggest "Oh, CRAP" moments.

Postby Tarnish » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm pretty sure most of us have come across some part of a game like this. Be it because you were scared, overwhelmed, etc.

Seeing the first enemy in Shadow of the Colossus freaked me out pretty badly, for example.

The worst for me so far, though, was in No One Lives Forever 2.

[spoiler]You play in a level that was rather obviously inspired by The Thing, which is bad enough. 80% of the level is spent as sort of a treasure hunt, looking for keys and notes and such. Near the end, however, a big freaking genetic mutation comes crashing through the wall, yelling "KILLLL", "WHO AM IIIII" and "HELP MEEE".

I, um, still haven't actually gathered the courage to go through that level without a cheat code...[/spoiler]
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

I freaked out in Phoenix Wright 2 when I found out you couldn't press one of the witnesses like usual. XD;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Peanut » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:18 pm

My most memorable "Oh Crap" moment comes from Metroid Prime 2 when I learned how far a Grenchler can jump. I was on one side of a room on a ledge between two doors, across a decently sized pool of water were two Grenchlers. I decided that since I was at a "safe distance" I'd start shooting at them and just dodge whatever projectiles they would throw at me. So I started firing at one of them and it turned around and jumped from the edge of the pool of water. I thought "Ha...it won't make it..." The next thing I know the Grenchler is right next to me...Yeah, I was a little freaked out...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby HiddenWoodchuck » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Hmm... when I was about to ace this hard song on Guitar Hero and the power went out. I didn't really say anything... I just sat there with my mouth open... in the dark.

"In game" related... Gears of War on the Xbox 360... when my friend and I were playing co-op. I think the creature is called a Berserker, but I may be wrong... whatever that huge thing is that runs after you. My friend ran by me and was screaming like a little girl, this thing was behind him and busting down all things in its way. The thing changed direction and headed for me... I was laughing so hard I didn't know until it was close, then I pretty much screamed as well and ran behind my friend.
Per his request, this user has been temporarily banned
HiddenWoodchuck

Postby Bap » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:04 pm

My "Oh Crap" moment was when I was fighting Skeith in .hack//INFECTION, and both Kite and Mireille died. ...and all that was left was BlackRose. WHO WOULD NOT LISTEN TO THE RES COMMAND. T_T;

I died.

I don't trust NPCs with healing anymore. ):
<pritch> jeez
<pritch> sauron couldve got the one ring on ebay for £4.99
<pritch> oh wait
<pritch> excludes delivery to mordor
<fragglet> one does not simply deliver to mordor
Bap

Postby ADXC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:11 pm

Mine were mostly from when you are about to defeat the last boss of a game which the boss being the hardest ever and then he kills you. That always sucks.

@ ShiroiHikari-Which witness was that? Was that when if you pressed a witness on an irrelevant issue you were penalized? Or was it that you had to present evidence?
ADXC

Postby RidleyofZebes » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Peanut (post: 1210762) wrote:My most memorable "Oh Crap" moment comes from Metroid Prime 2 when I learned how far a Grenchler can jump. I was on one side of a room on a ledge between two doors, across a decently sized pool of water were two Grenchlers. I decided that since I was at a "safe distance" I'd start shooting at them and just dodge whatever projectiles they would throw at me. So I started firing at one of them and it turned around and jumped from the edge of the pool of water. I thought "Ha...it won't make it..." The next thing I know the Grenchler is right next to me...Yeah, I was a little freaked out...

OH, yes. Grenchlers. I hate those things... >_< I still have trouble fighting them...

But that wasn't so much of an "Oh, CRAP" moment as the second time I encountered the Fast Zombies in Half Life 2. The first time I saw one, I just whipped out my magnum and was like "ka-POW You DEAD, foo!" like nothing. THEN, I find out they can climb drainpipes and come after you no matter where you are...

I almost crapped myself.:eh:
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Peanut » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm

RidleyofZebes (post: 1210870) wrote:O
But that wasn't so much of an "Oh, CRAP" moment as the second time I encountered the Fast Zombies in Half Life 2. The first time I saw one, I just whipped out my magnum and was like "ka-POW You DEAD, foo!" like nothing. THEN, I find out they can climb drainpipes and come after you no matter where you are...

The entire level of Ravenholm is a great "Oh Crap" moment...

Another "Oh crap" moment I can think of is from Portal involving a certain Cube of companiony goodness...of course that's more of a sad "Oh crap" moment so maybe it doesn't really count...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm

The scene where the Brutes, Elites, and Hunters are fighting in Halo 2. I was being all sneaky (as much as a 8-foot, half-ton supersoldier can be, anyway) and letting them wear each other down when I had the bright idea to expedite the process with a couple sniper rifle shots. You know what would be wonderful? Sound suppressors for your weapons. Every last one of them turned and looked at me, who was unfortunate enough to only have a plasma pistol in reserve.

. . . yes, it was on Easy. Shut up, I don't have time to be "hardcore lolz" like some people.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:13 pm

RidleyofZebes (post: 1210870) wrote: THEN, I find out they can climb drainpipes and come after you no matter where you are...

Most terrifying scene in a game I've played... right there.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:54 am

RidleyofZebes (post: 1210870) wrote:OH, yes. Grenchlers. I hate those things... >_< I still have trouble fighting them...

Yeah i echo the Ravenholm statement -_-. Mine was some of the events in Indigo prophecy and Condemned 2. A part where when ever you look in a mirror a phsyco is waiting there to kill you. Scariest game I have ever played.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:10 pm

The only game I think I've played that actually made me jump out of my skin was Eternal Darkness: Sanities Requiem. One part in particular that literally made me jump: Walking up to the Bath tub.

There is actually a lot of "Oh crap!" moments in that along with every time your character starts going insane.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:08 pm

Just about any given moment in a Silent Hill game. Disembodied wailing of a child; Pyramid Head . . . well, Pyramid Head; a flayed body strung upside-down dripping blood into a bucket; a giant face filling an entire wall; a dummy prop doll springing to life and attacking. So basically, never knowing if you're really safe
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bakura_fan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1211022) wrote:The only game I think I've played that actually made me jump out of my skin was Eternal Darkness: Sanities Requiem. One part in particular that literally made me jump: Walking up to the Bath tub.

There is actually a lot of "Oh crap!" moments in that along with every time your character starts going insane.

Oh..yes. love that game. But the bathtub scene..I was on the phone with my husband (boyfriend at the time) and literally screamed so loud into the phone he didn't know what was wrong. Never before has a game done that to me.

Also, I agree about the ravenholm...and yet I am just wanting to go back there. lol.

Actually another one I like is where you just killed off zombies and then you hear another one and...it's just Alex. =_=]Just about any given moment in a Silent Hill game. Disembodied wailing of a child; Pyramid Head . . . well, Pyramid Head; a flayed body strung upside-down dripping blood into a bucket; a giant face filling an entire wall; a dummy prop doll springing to life and attacking. So basically, never knowing if you're really safe[/quote]

I have never been able to get my hands on a Silent Hill game...just the movie....=_= Though I desperately want to play. Just like I want to play All the Resident Evil Games, F.E.A.R, and Bioshock. I am a big fan of spookyness. Any good games to suggest?
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:29 pm

My biggest "Oh crap" moment in a video game actually wasn't while I was playing, but rather a friend of mine named Dan. Dan was playing Thief: Deadly Shadows, and had got up to the Shalebridge Cradle level. As all players of Thief know, The Cradle is the spookiest level in the game. To make matters worse, Thief is a stealth game in which you must rely on guile and secrecy because you aren't very well armed for a direct confrontation. In a certain sense, this makes things scarier than horror games that give you powerful weaponry to take on the bad guys. My friend was making his way through the area with all the insane zombies and clearing them out one by one. He entered an area where we thought was all clear and he started to pick a lock. Suddenly, a zombie jumped out and attacked him from the side and our hearts just about leaped out of our bodies. To this day he still refuses to play that level.
GhostontheNet

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:38 pm

Oh man, "Oh CRAP!" was the one phrase I needed playing Doom 3. I was actually scared to go through the maintenance crawl spaces... >>; Heck, the Hell levels were way less scary than the Mars. The best time to play is around 2 in the morning because everyone is usually asleep. Turn off the lights and get head phones. Good luck sleeping, heh. And then you hear the whispers, women crying... and some of the audio logs send chills.

And it Metal Gear Solid 3- every time you get shot by The End. I got his camo though >:D

We don't go to Ravenholm.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:30 pm

bakura_fan (post: 1211059) wrote:I have never been able to get my hands on a Silent Hill game...just the movie....=_= Though I desperately want to play. Just like I want to play All the Resident Evil Games, F.E.A.R, and Bioshock. I am a big fan of spookyness. Any good games to suggest?

Bioshock's great. Not consistently scary, but consistently entertaining. The story, characters, atmosphere and open-ended gameplay make it incredible and well worth the purchase.
I actually wasn't that impressed with F.E.A.R. though. Something about knowing that you're fully armed and working with some sort of professional supernatural S.W.A.T. team kinda lessens the tension. Plus it didn't take long for the story to completely lose me.
I highly recommend the Condemned games. That's where it is with first-person horror. Unbelievably creepy. Condemned seems to owe a lot to certain psych. thriller movies, especially Se7en. Play it in the dark with the sound up, you'll love it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:49 pm

bakura_fan (post: 1211059) wrote:I have never been able to get my hands on a Silent Hill game...just the movie....=_= Though I desperately want to play. Just like I want to play All the Resident Evil Games, F.E.A.R, and Bioshock. I am a big fan of spookyness. Any good games to suggest?
The Fatal Frame series comes to mind. You have to defeat ghosts armed only with a camera and they can hide anywhere along all the cracks, bends, and shadows of the traditional Japanese architecture in which the game is set.
GhostontheNet

Postby bakura_fan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:38 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1211130) wrote:The Fatal Frame series comes to mind. You have to defeat ghosts armed only with a camera and they can hide anywhere along all the cracks, bends, and shadows of the traditional Japanese architecture in which the game is set.

hmm. cool. How easy is it to find the game nowadays? Like Eternal Darkness was sheer luck that I found it....is it easier or just as hard to find, cause I've never seen it before.:sweat:
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:52 pm

Definitely the Kael fight in WoW. The room itself it really stunning, but the fight itself was hard, fun, and fairly cool. The first few times you do the encounter, it feels very overwhelming. Essentially, you fight each of his four advisors one at a time. Then, he summons weapons that you have to kill and equip afterwards to help against fighting against his four advisors simultaneously after he resurrects them all. Then, Kael himself joins the fight. But the feeling you get after defeating him the first time is very satisfying.
blkmage

Postby Mister Frodo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:13 pm

I'd say for scary moments, I definitely think that the beginning of Metroid Prime 2 really got me freaked out, just because of how spooky it was the first time I played it. It didn't have quite the payoff, but it was still really scary.

The main "OH CRAP" moments that have come from video games for me have been from Half-Life. I've played through most of it, and sheesh! For a game made in 1998 it scares the heck out of me. There are only so many times a Headcrab can jump out of a vent at you before you think, "This has to be bad for my blood pressure."

Also, the first time I ran into one of the "super zombies" in Half-Life: Opposing Force was really creepy. Those things still freak me out. Not like the zombies in Half-Life 2, though.

Edit: Also, the first time I ran into the Flood in Halo 2 was pretty freaky (I hadn't played Halo 1 yet.) And the flashback cutscene in Knights of the Old Republic 2 where Kreia gets beat up by the two other Sith Lords... I really wasn't expecting that.

I still have to go to Ravenholm.
Mister Frodo

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:13 pm

bakura_fan (post: 1211145) wrote:hmm. cool. How easy is it to find the game nowadays? Like Eternal Darkness was sheer luck that I found it....is it easier or just as hard to find, cause I've never seen it before.:sweat:
Its become somewhat rare, although not 100 dollar game rare. There's a PS2 and Xbox version, and of the two the Xbox version is cheaper and more readily available. Still, a search on Ebay reveals a number of copies, and you'll find it in Video Game stores from time to time.
GhostontheNet

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:42 am

I usually don't play horror themed games, so my "Oh, crap" moments typically revolve around being one hit from KO and tearing around the screen in search of meat bun or a save point before I get nailed.

The only scary moments I can think of off hand are from back when I would play House of the Dead with my brother. Quite a few "Oh, crap" moments there. Or when I would watch my brother and cousin play Super Contra and be frightened by the cheapo 2D graphics because that's how little I was.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:07 am

Doubleshadow (post: 1211508) wrote:I usually don't play horror themed games, so my "Oh, crap" moments typically revolve around being one hit from KO and tearing around the screen in search of meat bun or a save point before I get nailed.

The only scary moments I can think of off hand are from back when I would play House of the Dead with my brother. Quite a few "Oh, crap" moments there. Or when I would watch my brother and cousin play Super Contra and be frightened by the cheapo 2D graphics because that's how little I was.
Har! That'll show ye to just run about willy nilly in Dynasty Warriors! If ye be a bold and hardy lass, survival horror games may be right up yer alley.
GhostontheNet

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:33 pm

While playing "I wanna be the guy" I've had a few moments where I reached the screen after a difficult one only to realize that there was something else and no save point. For example, having a trial and error invisible maze puzzle right after a difficult sequence of aerial dodging is brutal.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:52 pm

My biggest "Oh Crap" moment in a video game wasn't actually an in-game monster thing. My brother and I were playing the same game and he had to leave, so he asked me to save his game. I did, right over my file, in which I was about eight hours of gameplay ahead of him. I stared at the screen for a good five minutes and probably teared up. :]

As for in-game things... well, I certainly have a lot of jump moments. My favorite funny one is when my friend and I were driving down to Hilton Head together, playing FFX. Whenever battle starts, the screen cracks and makes this crashing noise. We were listening to the game in headphones, and we were on the Thunder Plains place, so not only did the screen crack, but at random times lightning would strike you. We jumped so many times and it got to the point where we couldn't listen to the sound because it kept scaring us so much. Haa....
Kawaiikneko

Postby HiddenWoodchuck » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:19 pm

AH, having saved games written over... that is something I know all too well... my friend saved over one of my files before on an RPG that I had at least 40 hours in... I think my eye started twitching when he broke the news to me.

The "red ring of death" on the Xbox 360 is a definite "oh crap" moment. I'm on my second 360, and I don't even play a lot. Sad.
Per his request, this user has been temporarily banned
HiddenWoodchuck

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Best "Oh crap" moment:
Doom 3 as soon as everything spirals downhill
Gears of War the first berserker level, then the Corpser level.
Mass Effect, the battle with Sovereign
Halo Master Chief replaying the helmet video of Private Jenkins when the Flood is introduced.
Final Fantasy VII when the "Weapons" are unleashed on Midgar
Xenosaga when Abel's Arc appears.

FreeSpace 2 the battle of Colossus and Sathanis
Alien vs Predator any moment
Bless me indeed
Open wide my horizons to share your name
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Stephen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:09 am

You want an Oh Crap gaming moment? Try jumping off of a building in WoW, ever so sure the water below is fine to land in. Only to realize on impact, the water was only inches deep. *OWNED*
Stephen

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:29 am

ShatterheartArk (post: 1211686) wrote:You want an Oh Crap gaming moment? Try jumping off of a building in WoW, ever so sure the water below is fine to land in. Only to realize on impact, the water was only inches deep. *OWNED*

Hahaha.... ah yes that happens a lot in that game. Actually... thats more of a "DANGIT!!" moment. "Oh Crap" is running and then jumping to hurry and catch the elevator only to have it begin to descend just before your feet reach its flooring... thus giving you time to prepare your soul for the other side.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews