Biggest "Oh, CRAP" moments.

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:29 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]Hmm..my biggest "Oh crap" moment?

It has to be...when in Twilight Princess, you had to fight against the one boss in the dungeon with all the zombies and ghost rats and skeletons?

Well, the biggest OC moment when I was a kid was whenever my Mom played the OddWorld games. Those freaked me out.[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:38 pm

most recently, when the last boss in super smash bros sprouts wings and hits you with XXXXXXXXXX Mhz shockwaves... I die lots XP
Monkey J. Luffy

Re: Biggest "Oh, CRAP" moments.

Postby LupoRedgrave » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 pm

I've had several.
Most memorable one was on The Island in Resident Evil 4 (first play through) and fighting my first regenerador..killed it. (Me: hallelujiah!... It's finally dead!)
Going down the hall encountering the second one, (Me: O_O You are kidding me!?) sprinting past it to encounter the third one just a little away from it the second.
(Me: Oh...NO WAY! Aaaaaahhhh! T_T + O_O... The first one was bad enough! I have to kill 3 of them pretty much in a row!?) Although I managed...somehow....
Actually all of my encounters with the Regeneradors were this.. Iron Maidens were not actually tricky for me at all! Even the one in the Rubbish Dispenser in that ridicoulsly small space you have between it, Leon and Ashley.

As much as I love it, Fire Emblem is also a big one. I think I've got it all worked out then it all comes apart - painfully. (Shadow Dragon and Radiant Dawn!)
The first Devil May Cry and also Cerberus from Devil May Cry. Much in the same way as Fire Emblem - love it - but things go downhill....mercilessly.
...Proverbs 4:18...
LupoRedgrave

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 pm

(Old thread, but whatever...)

Skyward Sword. Koloktos. Having him pull out six arms and blades as big as you are is bad enough. But when he pulls himself out of the ground, and then gets his HUGE scimitars out... Yeah, now it's time to panic.

The old Sega Genesis chestnut Alien Soldier has Seven Force, which is bad enough seeing that on its own, but if you've played Gunstar Heroes, you've heard its theme music before, you know Seven Force is coming, and you know that thing's gonna be bringing the pain.

Aaaaaand, speaking of Fire Emblem, FE7's final boss. You just went through the (quite difficult) boss rush, beat up the evil mastermind, etc., etc., and then that thing shows up. You attack it, and find out its health is off the charts. It hits you, and it hurts. A lot. Granted, it's not too bad a fight if you know what you're doing, but that initial shock'll do you in if you're not careful.
Davidizer13

Postby Tarnish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 pm

OKAY NEW ONE

THE WALKING FREAKING DEAD EPISODE 4

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh, you want the hat? Okay well just bend over and LOL CHOMP SCREW YOU PLAYER

Yup. I stared a the screen with my mouth open for about 10 minutes after that.
Tarnish

Postby Peanut » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Seeing this thread reminded me of that Grenchler story I posted. I can't think of any that are actually better then that but I can say loosing to Dark Templar in SC2 is an "Oh Crap" moment that I'd prefer not to have...ever...but do.

Another "Oh Crap" moment (but a different type of "Oh Crap" moment) is dying in Dark Souls with 100k souls and 30 humanity...
Peanut

Postby Xeno » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Probably every time I'm playing once of my racing simulators and make some kind of bone-headed mistake on a long event, like clipping the grass with both inside tires, on the last lap that costs me the race.
Xeno

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Peanut wrote:Another "Oh Crap" moment (but a different type of "Oh Crap" moment) is dying in Dark Souls with 100k souls and 30 humanity...

That's not an "Oh Crap" moment. That a SCREAM AND RAGEQUIT AND THROW YOUR CONTROLLER AT THE TELEVISION moment.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:30 am

For me:
in Final Fantasy VII: The sequence when WEAPON attacks Junon. And Junon's cannon doesn't even dent.
in Chrono Cross: when the dragons combined into the Fused Dragon, and I realized SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I got suckered into creating the thing
in Super Smash Bros Brawl: Taboo attacks and everyone falls.
rocklobster

Postby LastLfan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:25 am

Killzone 3 anytime you feel like a boss cause your take out like 5 enemies, then turn around and a capture soldier is staring at you and slices your throat. (I would try to counter but i dropped my controller :)
LastLfan

Postby Peanut » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:
Peanut wrote:Another "Oh Crap" moment (but a different type of "Oh Crap" moment) is dying in Dark Souls with 100k souls and 30 humanity...

That's not an "Oh Crap" moment. That a SCREAM AND RAGEQUIT AND THROW YOUR CONTROLLER AT THE TELEVISION moment.

Not when you've achieved zen in the world of Dark Souls.

With that being said, having to go through Blighttown with a second character because I didn't pick the Master Key as my starting gift was an "Oh Crap" moment that almost ruined my zen. Then I owned Blighttown like a freaking boss...ok I can't actually say that. It was more of I made it through Blighttown in a somewhat respectable manner that brightened the rest of my day.
Peanut

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 am

Final fantasy XII: Those darned battery bugs...i was so close...or that wall...ugh...
Battlefeild: Too many times to remember them all =_=

Kingdom Hearts 1 : I swear every boss battle in this game was not completed without me going "HOLY CRAP" so, does that count? XD
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 am

When I knocked the Turtle colossus over and got on it only for it to shake me off... After an HOUR in the battle, that was the first time I was able to actually get onto its back. Yeah. Realizing there was nothing I could hold onto. That was an oh crap moment. I actually caught it on tape and uploaded it to youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8i6wxX5-TE

For narrative "Oh Crap" moments... Final Fantasy games love those, I think. And Metal Gear. I think FF6 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: When Kefka moves the statues, and then shoots a huge fricking laser into the earth and a good portion of the world dies off was a pretty serious OH CRAP moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Crossfire » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:02 pm

I had my first "I didn't see that coming" moment in a while. In Assassin's Creed 3, after you finish playing as Kenway. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: We are... Templars.
Crossfire

Postby AndrewinIce » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Monster Hunter Tri for Wii...When you just walking around and then all of a sudden a Rathion flying down, landing right in front of you.

Final Fantasy X, when you learn a huge secret when you get to the Wall of Fayths...Anyone whose played it knows what I'm talking about O_o
AndrewinIce

Postby Vii » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Skyward Sword - Forget Slender, the Silent Realms were heart attack inducing. The biggest "Oh CRAP" is when you get chased by the guards of the Silent Realm.
Vii

Postby SilverToast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Vii wrote:Skyward Sword - Forget Slender, the Silent Realms were heart attack inducing. The biggest "Oh CRAP" is when you get chased by the guards of the Silent Realm.

this. I would die of fear if it was played in first person.
SilverToast

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Vii wrote:Skyward Sword - Forget Slender, the Silent Realms were heart attack inducing. The biggest "Oh CRAP" is when you get chased by the guards of the Silent Realm.

This.I still haven't beaten the game, game, I can't bring myself to do the third realm.

Biggest OC moment for me would be Skyward Sword, second silent realm, when you have to push the mine cart out of the swelling water right in front of the guard. It touched me when I was about half way out, out, so I frantically pushed a bit more, hopped on and jumped for my life. Touched the tear literally as his swords were going through me, I was fine. Paused the game and sat there shaking for about ten minutes- definitely the most stressful video game moment I've ever experienced.
Vilo159

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 am

I definitely agree about the Silent Realms in SS. Also, the final boss battle. The first time I fought him, I listened to the dramatic music, looked at the dramatic landscape, and saw how powerful he was...and lost all hope. But once you figure out how to damage him, that battle is actually the most fun in the whole game.

And there are puh-lenty of "oh crap" moments in Slender, particularly when you see him in the far distance or your screen starts to get staticky and you don't know where exactly he is. All you know is that you have to run, right now.

Oh, and there was a wonderful heart-attack-inducing bit in Penumbra: Black Plague, where you start to go woozy and hallucinate-y in the worst possible place, where there are Tuurngait chasing you all over the place. Clarence, I officially hate you :shady:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:01 am

Playing Silent Hill 4 on hard mode the FIRST TIME through, thinking "This isn't so bad" but wasting all my healing stuff, because I'm thinking "I can just regenerate in my apartment" Then... the fan breaks...

Yeah, suffice it to say, I started the game again at a lower difficulty level (and conserved healing items until the second half of the game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 am

There are some pretty big "oh crap" moments in a scared sort of way in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Basically, every time you hear a distant moan of zombies XD
the_wolfs_howl

Postby YukikazeRailgun » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 am

the biggest "OH CRAP"moment I had Playing Tales Of Xillia 2's bad ending where *SPOILER ALERT* Ludger turns on his entire party. But thing about this boss fight (You have to fight your entire party. That's 8 people) at that when you take one of their HPs down to ZERO. They literally DIE. As in the story demands they be DEAD. The includes Jude and Milla from Xillia. Although some of the characters deserved it, some of them didn't. The thing that made this an "OH CRAP" moment was that they kept on telling Ludger to kill Julius. And when he refuses enough times he goes into Yandere mode and everyone get's Corpse Shell'd
YukikazeRailgun

Postby Crossfire » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 pm

I had another moment a while ago. In Metal Gear Rising, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Jack" literally cuts some kid in half.
Crossfire

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews