new game famine

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

new game famine

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:32 pm

Anyone else notice that there are no really good games coming out - for anything? Arc the Lad for ps2 is coming out soon. Gamecube's got FFCC and Harvest Moon. All 3 systems have Soul Caliber 2. And then of course FFx-2 later this winter. But ... does that seem dry to anyone else?
And, off topic already, does anyone know of any good rpgs for the xbox? Not the dumb PC remakes - I mean good rpgs.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby andyroo » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:52 pm

Well, I think there may be more good games than that. Like F-Zero GX, and the Sonic Adventure Origional remake and and Golden Sun and Ikaruga and that is about it besides the games you've already mentioned. I guess this year is some what dry.

Phantasy Star Online is a really good RPG for the XBox and the other systems. It isn't a pc rip off and it is based on the origional Sega Genesis RPG.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:58 pm

Other than that, though, there are practically no rpgs for the Xbox. That's the main reason I don't really like it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:01 pm

If we had a really, really pouty avatar, I'd use it here and now.
Are there any good fighters?
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby andyroo » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:21 am

If no one will answer the question, then I will! I can't stand an unanswered question.

The only good fighting game that I can think up off the top of my head is Virtua Fighters 4 (I think that's the number). There's another one that is at the top of my toung, but I can't remember quite. I think it's something like Tekken. Is that even a fighting game? :comp:
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:49 am

i have experienced both sides of this problem; the player/gamer side, and the developer side.

as i'm a student who's aim is to get a job in programming, i already have made a few games that aren't really spectacular. the problem with making games is that, no matter how much you think you know about this 'way cool idea', when it comes to pulling it out it's just stuck there.

these days, PS2 is considered same ranking in popularity compared to PC, if not higher ranked. probably because of this, the mainstream PC game developers are being put out of job. this means there aren't many more ideas that are being juiced into the consoles, and because of nature of consoles, there aren't more games that are different.

making a good game is easy. but making one so that everyone would remember it for next 20 years is near impossible.

and i don't play with consoles. i prefer PCs; much more versatile.
LorentzForce

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:44 am

Originally posted by LorentzForce
and i don't play with consoles. i prefer PCs; much more versatile.

Yeah, half the fun is seeing if you can make it to the save point before you game crashes! WAH HA HA HA HA! *runs away laughing maniacally* LOL, jk jk, don't look at me like that...

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:50 am

On a note more in tune with the original question, have you considered the gba? I don't know if you have one, but there are decent games for it. Castlevania has something new coming out, I'm not sure when. The more recent rpg/action hybrids are a style I enjoy. Also, what about Golden Sun, and its sequel? They're good games (though the conversation is horribly dull at times).
uc pseudonym

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:04 am

most games on PCs don't have save points at all; you can save most anytime. only ports from console systems do have save points.

if you thought porting PC to console was bad, porting from a console to a PC is worse.

...it says on the monitor 'Press the Start Button' -_-;;;;;

umm... where do i reconfigure keys? omg... it doesn't have any...
LorentzForce

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:25 am

You use a controller for you PC games? I love my Sidewinder. Actually, the first FF game I played was on PC. FFVII - although, you have to get patches so it will work with XP. For PC games, I liked Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. I also played Septerra Core for a while, but I stopped for a number of different reasons. Actually, the game ended up in the trash.
Gypsy

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:37 am

it's quite ironic that most console ports don't even support controllers, let alone mouse support! i mean, it's made for console, but it doesn't even support hand-held controllers on PC? just plain laziness.

and if you want RPG on PC, you must, MUST play Neverwinter Nights. the ultimate RPG experience. ever.
LorentzForce

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:45 am

Played it a little. Didn't really strike my fancy. Have you played Septerra Core?
Gypsy

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:49 am

i heard of it, but it doesn't sell in my local gaming store.

i'll have to look into it.
LorentzForce

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:01 am

There are a few games coming I am looking forward to on the PS2. Metal Gear 3, Soul Calaber 2, FFX-2....um...I am sure im forgetting some...those are what I am waiting for though.
Stephen

Postby BrianC » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:21 am

Originally posted by uc pseudonym
On a note more in tune with the original question, have you considered the gba? I don't know if you have one, but there are decent games for it. Castlevania has something new coming out, I'm not sure when. The more recent rpg/action hybrids are a style I enjoy. Also, what about Golden Sun, and its sequel? They're good games (though the conversation is horribly dull at times).

The newest Castlevania you are referring to, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is out now and I own it. It rocks! It's similar to Symphony of the Night PSX and the other two GBA castlevanias, but there are enough innovations and improvements to make it worth buying. Equipable weapons are back and so is a shop that is actually easy to find. It uses a enemy "soul" system where you can steal powers from enemies and use them as weapons.

The story takes place in the future, but the game is still in a haunted castle setting with the Castlevania style enemies, setting, and weapons. The story is still related to other Castlevania games. Hearts are used to fill the magic meter. The soul powers (some of which are the classic Castlevania subweapons) and some special skills use the magic meter. There are no Street Fighter style motions in this game. There are some nice extras for beating the game like a boss rush mode, another playable character, and a hard mode.

I played the first Golden Sun and loved it, but the game isn't groundbreaking, though it is alot of fun to play. I think the Megaman Battle Network games are more original, at least they were until they copied off themselves. I love Megaman Battle Network 2, though.

As for upcoming games, I'm looking forward to Super Mario Bros. 3, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Sword of Mana, Megaman Zero 2, Mario and Donkey Kong (though it is an updated version of the GB Donkey Kong) and Mario and Luigi. One of them is a remake of a classic game, but I like remakes/ports and I'm actually glad to see them on GBA becuase they add some awesome games to the library.

It looks like Fire Emblem has a very good chance of coming here. It was at E3 (a trade show) with an English translation and it's on the release list of many retailers.

Mario and Luigi sounds like an interesting RPG with elements from Paper Mario N64.

I like the GBA versions of Virtua Tennis, Super Monkey Ball, and Tony Hawk. They keep a great deal of fun of the console versions and, in the case of Virtua Tennis and Tony Hawk, actually add some new stuff.

One of the newest games for GBA is Wario Ware. I heard that it's a bunch of one shot mini games with lots of wierdness and some games based on classic Nintendo titles. I haven't played it, but I heard nothing but good things about it.

Another Advance Wars game just came out for the GBA. I heard that it's very similar to the original, but with a new unit, better AI, more CO powers, new terrain, and a more varied campaign mode.

So it looks like there is alot of great stuff for the GBA.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:26 am

Sword of Mana? I take it that's kin to the Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu series?

And I hadn't heard anything about a new Mario rpg coming out...oh! And Fire Emblem! I wanna see that, too!

It looks to me like they're doing more good stuff with the GBA than the GC...but maybe that's just me. And as much as I love the new graphics they're using in games, there's just nothing like the old-school feeling of sprites...

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:36 am

Megaman Zero 2? That's cool. I loved the first, and I'll have to make an effort to get ahold of the second. I knew there was new stuff for the gba, but I didn't realize there was that much! Of course, if Gypsy doesn't have one, none of this helps her very much...
uc pseudonym

Postby madphilb » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:56 pm

I didn't post before about this, but one of the best RPGs for the XBox is Morrowind (Eleder Scrolls 3)... it's tyipcal fantasy stuff (though not a D&D direct ripoff like most).

There isn't too much on the XBox.... usually listed under the RPG section for XBox includes Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance (SP?) which is really just Gauntlet/Diablo with RPG elements thrown in (basically it's Diablo set in the Baulder's Gate "world"), bit wierd actually....

The Lord of the Rings game is listed as an RPG, but I've heard it's more Zeldaesque (which Zelda is highly debated as to if it's a RPG or not).

Couple of others that didn't seem to do well for whatever reason....

Rumor has it (haven't check on it recently) that FF will make it's way to XBox, but I could be missinformed.

Deus Ex 2 is comming out for the XBox, which is a FPS/RPG crossbreed (I personally like it).

There are a bunch of others comming out in the next year as well, including Fable and the Starwars one.

PS2 still holds it for RPGs, GBA has some of the older style ones on it now... PC's best RPGs have been the ones by Bioware (Baulder's Gate/Icewind Dale). Oh, and Archanox is pretty slick, though I stopped playing it for a lack of time (now I'm spending a couple hours a week or so inching along in Morrowind).

I guess we'll just have to see what else the future holds for XBox RPGs....

PHIL
madphilb

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:15 pm

Sword of Mana? I take it that's kin to the Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu series?

Sword of Mana is a slightly enhanced port of the very first game in the Seiken Densetsu/Mana series which was originally released in America as Final Fantasy Adventure.

Mario and Luigi, the upcoming Mario RPG, looks interesting.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Retten » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:49 pm

Gypsy wrote: off topic already, does anyone know of any good rpgs for the xbox? Not the dumb PC remakes - I mean good rpgs.

well i could go on about this game for awhile i will just give a link it looks to be an amazing rpg :rock: :thumb: (it makes me want to buy a xbox :dizzy: ) its called project ego for now

http://www.allrpg.com/games/projectego/index.php3?page=preview

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Saint » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:27 pm

i would have to say that GBA is the system to have... they have everyone releasing games for them. i am looking forward to the FF Tactics Advance game. now i need to go and get the GameCube attachment that lets you play them on the TV.

As for XBOX... well its the only major system that i don't have so i don't know much, but i read in a E3 article that "Fable" is a very promising RPG. who knows... maybe you X-boxers would want to check it out.
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Rashiir » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:37 pm

I'm gonna.
Rashiir

Postby Rashiir » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:22 am

Hey, to answer Gypsy's original question...Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic just came out...Word is that it's really really ridiculously good. That's what the reviewers are saying...I think I'm gonna get it, so you guys might not hear from me for a couple weeks. :thumb:
Rashiir

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews