My childhood was just ripped to pieces in a few minutes....

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

My childhood was just ripped to pieces in a few minutes....

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:26 am

A New World Record
I'm not sure how many have seen this, but this is a video of someone zooming through Super Mario Bros. 3 in 11 minutes flat.

Link

Amazing, no?

I'm not sure if this is a rom hack or not, anyways it's still cool.
Link Antilles

Postby Straylight » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:41 am

Woah, I'm watching that at the moment. Pretty impressive.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby inkhana » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:45 am

Wow, they were ALMOST as fast as my record...:P

OK, jk, jk...I could never do that. That was awesome...:thumb: Esp the part where they use the glitch to slide through the wall...

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Razgriz » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:26 am

lol, that was awesome.
Razgriz

Postby MasterDias » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:30 am

It would take my dial-up a while to download that so I haven't seen it yet but here's a word of caution.

There is talk going around that it could possibly be fake...

I don't know.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby inkhana » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:32 am

Well, it could be spliced, and it also could be that there was a no-damage code in place to prevent slowdown.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Kenchii » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:11 pm

:speakless:
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:33 pm

Well, I can read hiragana, the persons name is Morimoto @yarukinasu.

There is no way that video could be real. NOBODY is that good at a game, NOBODY. The guy didn't even take a single hit or lose a single life.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:33 pm

woah..never can play any game that fast.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby cbwing0 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:48 pm

After watching it (which too a while due to slow loading), I can't see any reason to think that this is a fake. The guy played flawlessly, plain and simple. He must have memorized everything in the game to get his timing just right.

I've heard about another guy who beat soul calibur for the Dreamcast with a fishing controller on the hardest difficulty setting. Now that is something that would be useful.

It's interesting: I bet he played for countless hours to get that good.

My hat is off to whoever it was that did that. :thumb:
cbwing0

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:44 pm

i'm 4 minutes slower than him. blast. (really, he didn't cheat. why? because i can 'almost' do like him. except some levels which for me require time to do. thus why it's 4 minutes.) the most difficult is the 2nd level; how to run fast enough to actually become Power level and jump jump jump the entire level. it's very, very difficult... i only did it twice :P

and yes, i've seen it a while ago. it's already saved on my hard drive...
LorentzForce

Postby cbwing0 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:33 am

I didn't know that you could skip straight to the last level by using the second flute at the warp screen. That would have made things a bit easier...

Having said that, I also never beat any of the mario games (except Mario Kart and Wario Land 2). I would always try for a while, then get frustrated and break something. Perhaps it would be easier today, after I have actually beaten a lot of games. Then again, I have never been a big fan of platformers.
cbwing0

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:10 am

[quote="LorentzForce"]i'm 4 minutes slower than him. blast. (really, he didn't cheat. why? because i can 'almost' do like him. except some levels which for me require time to do. thus why it's 4 minutes.) the most difficult is the 2nd level]

I hear ya', I've saved it too. I'm trying to pull this stunt off myself, yet It's been an unsuccessful journey... :sweat:
Link Antilles

Postby JediSonic » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:35 pm

The link doesn't work... is the site having downtime or what?
JediSonic

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:43 pm

[quote="JediSonic"]The link doesn't work... is the site having downtime or what?[/QUOTE

Hmmm.... I can't get it to work either. I think they took the file down. So, does anyone have a redirected link to this? Also, does anyone know if this video is really fake or not?
Link Antilles

Postby JediSonic » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:10 pm

Here's a download site I found from google! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=moSMB3.wmv

Unfortunately, all movies are way way wayyyyy too dark on my monitor :shady:
JediSonic

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:15 pm

I know a guy who does the same thing with Sonic 2... They just spend so long playing the game, they memorize every detail... I did a similar thing in Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (the original set, not the expanded ones...) and I beat the computer's perfect demonstration... I can't do it now, I suck at MGS because it's been so long since I played it, but I did it once...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby JediSonic » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:10 pm

LOL! Sonic is one of those games it's really fun to be good at ;)

By the way, I love your syntax error joke, bobtheduck, I never noticed it XD
JediSonic

Postby LorentzForce » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:20 am

Sonic series too is worthwhile to 'run', because afterall, you CAN 'run' with Sonic real quick.

gotta try doing with my Sonic 3 and Knuckles too... i wonder how fast I can run...
LorentzForce

Postby btboy500 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:52 pm

Whoa! There is a lot of talk about this in my computer lab in my programming class at school. I saw some of the video and I was dumbstruck at how flawlessly the game was played. It doesn't really look fake but then again it's hard to tell.
btboy500

Postby cbwing0 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:03 pm

The only thing that looks suspicious is when he is flying with the racoon powerup. It kinda looks like he runs into some of the enemies without stepping on them. I am pretty sure that that would do damage; but then again I can't beat SMB3 in 11 minutes! :sweat:
cbwing0

Postby Roll » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:24 am

I haven't seen the video, but I think there's a good possibility that it's real. Some people can REALLY master a game when they put their minds and thumbs to it! There's this space shooter (the name of which I can't recall) that includes a demo (which I have personally seen) played by a man who totally memorized every level and beat the whole game without ever taking a single hit. He was quite the celebrity among fellow fans!
[color="YellowGreen"]Got a Wii? PM me to trade numbers! ^^[/color]

[color="Yellow"]As a supporter of MOES, I would like to take this opportunity to kindly ask that the content of your signature be kept to a minimum as a courtesy to your fellow forum members. Thank you![/color]
Roll

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews