The Wind Waker

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

The Wind Waker

Postby Spencer » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:04 pm

Anybody actually played it yet? I just bought it with my brand spankin' new GameCube, and I am very pleased. After awhile, the graphics aren't as strange. They are just a different style. Despite the cel shading, the gameplay is very nice, and has the old Zelda feel to it. Now, instead of an Ocarina, we get to conduct. Neat! :thumb:
:)
Spencer

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:26 pm

Yup, I got Wind Waker opening day (well, day before opening day because my local eb broke the street date) and I loved it. The game was extremely fun, and that means something coming from a Zelda fan of more years than some of you have been alive. :rolls_eye But yes, I was very impressed by the game, but I'll admit it did get a little tedious at the end. It didn't have the normal sequence of dungeons to go through, and I spent 80% of the game sailing my little boat across the world. However, one of the cutest parts was dragging other characters into the dungeons with you. It's not a challenging game by any means, I had it beaten within the first week of buying it (and those who know me can vouch that I abhor using any sort of guides or walkthroughs for the first run-through of a game). If you get stuck, chances are you're thinking too hard.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:15 pm

I can't believe no one else has commented on this game!
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:00 pm

'Hoy!
That could be I'm too busy playing it and drooling over it to comment yet. Until now...I'm over half way in the game and I absolutely love it. Yeah, I was one of the die-hard no-cel-shading fans too, but I quickly forgave them in about 3 seconds flat the moment I saw the expressions they have for Link. Especially the first time you see him, that was great. The storyline is incredible; and the music? Don't get me started. Yes I know I'm ranting about this now, but I can't help it. Nintendo hit their mark with me on this game; it's like the perfect difficulty for me. The only thing I could even begin to complain about is the time it takes to run around, but even then...there's 'sploring to be done lads!
Overall I absolutely adore this game more than any other I've ever laid eyes upon. Well worth the $50 many times over.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:45 pm

Eh... of course it's a good game, and looks to be pretty fun (I haven't gotten a chance to seriously play it). But Link's expressions really didn't do much for me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Saint » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:10 pm

hmm, was this the best zelda game? i don't know. i didn't even care to try and find anything on the sea after i got all the major stuff and beat it, it was off to my friends to play. i like the look of it a lot and the extras, but not enough to max out my hearts and all. the SNES zelda was my fav. i think. the first gameboy was great for its time and being on the orginal gameboy. i say get the game, but maybe get a used copy. :sweat: all this talk makes me thirst for some Lon Lon Milk. :drool:
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:48 am

I don't really like how Link looks in the Wind Waker :shady: But my fave Zelda game was OOT. Gotta love Gerudo Valley's bg song! I loved it so much, I downloaded it :rock: But now I need to work on Majora's Mask.
Jesus is comming soon! RUE? / F.K.A. KabinShushiSora
Jephtih Mullins

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:02 am

Yeah OoT was such a good game. And the Gerudo Valley music was pretty cool. Actually, all Zelda music is cool.
Gypsy

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:32 am

Indeed! His ocorina songs were the best when he met with Shiek and they played the song together...ahhh good times....
Jephtih Mullins

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:53 am

Though this thread was supposed to be about the newer Zelda, I'll jump on the OoT bandwagon. That game did have some good music, a few songs actualy got stuck in my head. Plus, it just had a great feel to it. There was something about Majora's Mask that just didn't compare in that way. Perhaps the fact that everything you do is tranient, it will all be gone soon anyway.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:55 am

I have mixed feelings about the "new" Zelda music. The bg music is actually better than the songs you learn, IMO. Although the Wind God's Aria is probably one of the most beautiful, I have a special spot in my heart for the Dragon Roost Island theme.

There are some other things in the new Zelda I'm not crazy about either. The sages drove me crazy (won't spoil it for those who haevn't played that far, but trust me, you will want to kill them.) and the whole idea behind the "Command Melody" was a bit...questionable. Did I still enjoy it? Well yes...but I can't say I didn't have some qualms about it. Overall I still love the game, but it's getting a bit tedious.
Ashley

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:35 pm

I might be spelling this wrongly but I liked...awww man I can't even begin to try! I like the song that takes you to the fire place and there was one that I'd get angst at when my friend played it. I think it was the Temple of Time one
Jephtih Mullins

Postby Spencer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:44 pm

If you're talking about OoT, the fire one is Bolero of Fire. The Temple of Time one is called...The Song of Time. Personally I liked the Requiem of Spirit and the Serenade of Water.
:)
Spencer

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:45 pm

I think you mean Bolero of Fire...and that's an awesome song. Probably my favorite from OoT. My brother Chris and I often use that as a duet number...onna these days I'll record it.
Ashley

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:50 pm

*Blinks at Spencer* Okay you win! But I still think that Gerudo Valley is the best song!
Jephtih Mullins

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews