rare xenogears

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

rare xenogears

Postby lain » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:19 pm

What is the deal with xenogears? I mean it is the hardest game in the world to find. I used to own it but someone stole it from me. I found the religous aspect of the game very cotradictory to my beliefs about God. What are your thoughts?
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
lain

Postby Razgriz » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:34 pm

Xenogears takes a lot from the bible, though not Christianity per se. The entire timeline of the Xenogears world is based off of (very loosely, and huge changes.) the OT (the past) to the NT (where you start off in the game). The game was never was intended to be Christian by any means, though some subjects and wordings are rather inflammatory and controversial IMO, I do not believe that it has anything to do with Christianity or the Christian faith in itself (and it's also not a Christian game), so it's not contradictory because it's not Christian. If you feel that this isn't the type of game you should be playing, then you shouldn't.

To mods: Thanks. (for moving this thread)
Razgriz

Postby Rashiir » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:44 pm

It's rare because when it was released in America, Square underestimated how popular it would become and released only a small number of copies. I liked the game, though I didn't get much of the storyline since I got stuck in the Babel Tower.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby MasterDias » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:30 pm

I enjoyed the game although the second disk's gameplay could've been improved a lot. Square stuck in a whole bunch of religious references such as Noah's Ark, Cain and Abel, and the Twelve Tribes of Israel.
It wasn't really that offensive to me although some of it was a bit on the strange side. It had one of the best storylines in an RPG IMO and a superb soundtrack by one of my favorite video game composers, Yasunori Mitsuda, who also did the excellent soundtracks of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Xenosaga.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Razgriz » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:38 pm

Babel Tower, LOL, that place was miserable to say the least. Yeah, Yasunori Mitsuda is a great musician, I didn't like his work as much in XS as in XG though. On another note, XS doesn't have as much references in it...yet.
Razgriz

Postby Saint » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:51 pm

Love that game soo much. Yeah i heard that you can get a pretty good price trading it in, but there is no chance that i will do that. the story was out there (like quite a few Japanese sci-fi-"fantasy" games). Loved the anime cut-scenes. *my mistake on the game was not learning that you could gain back fuel in the gears. let me tell you, this made it very, very hard. i wondered why the gear battles were so insanely out of proportion with the character battles. :) i don't look for much in the stories of these games. and instead of offense i more see it as they being confused on the subject. kinda sad.
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews