Final Fantasy Tactics: Another fun game ruined by an anti-Christian story (SPOILERS)

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Final Fantasy Tactics: Another fun game ruined by an anti-Christian story (SPOILERS)

Postby Satsuki » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:17 pm

:rant:

FF Tactics is a hugely ant-Christian game. Your hero crusades against the Galbadio Church, representative of the Catholic Church. You go to various places in your journey, Golgatha Hill (Where this game's Jesus figure was crucified) and other religious references included. Eventually you discover a scripture that proves that St. Ajora (The Jesus figure in the game) is a fraud and in fact the entire Church was founded upon demons and is now filled with human demon hybrids who are trying to fufill the prophecy of the second coming.

It all ends when you end up fighting the game's version of Jesus who turns out to be a female demon. Everyone dies in the final battle and the Church destroys all evidence of wrongdoings and kills the person who has been documenting your journey. However the Church is eventually exposed hundreds of years in the future by a scholar who discovers the truth who is actually the narrator. The game is extremely anti-christian and makes no attempt to hide the fact. It all boils down to the message "Christianity is fake and has bad intentinos" which is patently false. Don't play it unless you want to see the extent of a good portion of Japan's population's hatred of our religion (This game was a huge hit in japan and so were the other Final Fantasies, I don't know if tehy are as atheistic as this game though).
Satsuki

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:00 pm

Oh, well never mind.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Usso-M » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:10 pm

Yes, Yes, FFT IS one of my favorite games, but I hate the anti-christianty (or anti-Roman Catholtic church). The first 2 chapters were almost purely political, but in Chapter 3 it went dooooooownnhilll.

On a side note, Satsuki, don't you think that your being a little too cynical? :shady: Althought around 98% of Japan needs to be saved, it's becuase they have a casual view on Religion. They're not Satan-worshippers.
Usso-M

Postby Rashiir » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:16 pm

...Jesus who turns out to be a female demon...

Wha...?
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Razgriz » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:19 pm

It's one of my top rpgs as well, I hope FFTA would be a lot better.
Razgriz

Postby Usso-M » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:26 pm

Rashiir wrote:Wha...?

If you REALLY want to know..here is the SPOILER-RIFIC ending of Final Fantast Tactics:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/psx/a/fft_1.htm

Farlem...lol...
Usso-M

Postby MillyFan » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:06 pm

First of all, I played Final Fantasy Tactics. The "church" was not anything to do with Christianity (despite using some trappings of it much as Eva did), and the female demon was NOT Jesus.

Now, Satsuki, you, however, ARE a troll. Please do us all a favor and use some of this on yourself. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby shooraijin » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:13 am

> The "church" was not anything to do with Christianity

Yes. Reading through the ending, I don't see how the church identifies itself with Christianity at all.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby MasterDias » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:08 pm

First of all, FFT wasn't anti-Christian. The producers did not intend for it to be anti-Christian and so it wasn't.

It did however borrow some elements from the Catholic church. Giving the midieval theme to the game that's not too suprising. St. Ajora, the founder of the church in FFT, was somewhat of a "Christ-like" figure although Antichrist would be a better term for him. He was indeed a fraud and was later betrayed to his enemies by one of his disciples and executed. And he winds up being the final boss. Most of the priests and temple knights sell their souls to demons in exchange for power so the church in FFT is truely corrupt although there are a few who are good characters.

The religious themes were somewhat disturbing so I could see how it could offend some Christians. But I strongly disagree with the statement that it is anti-Christian.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Straylight » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:33 pm

This thread is history
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews