Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis- a Christian RPG!? (spoilers)

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis- a Pro-god RPG!? (spoilers)

Postby Usso-M » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:31 am

If anyone has played Tactics Ogre, the Knights of Lodis, for GBA, they know that not only is it a Great S-RPG, but also has a number of refrences to God. Actually, more than that, I was very pleased with this game, and some concepts were lifted straight out of the bible, it seemed.
(spoilers)

GOOD:
Your enemy is the fallen angel, Satan, although he's called something else in this anime. During the final battle, he constantly taunts our hero and questions his faith, but the protaginist rebunks his claims, and it is apparent that he and one of his friends, Rictor, a holy preist, have a large faith in God. The angel says that God took away Rictor's family, to which Rictor Responds (not exact quote) "God provided tests for me, and I still love him with all of my heart". It's really nice to see Characters with such high faith! :jump:

BAD:
(MAJOR SPOILER)

It seems the whole reason the fallen angel fell is not because he was jealous of God, but he just wanted God to love him more. Naniiii!? Also, I don't see Jesus mentioned

So, PLEASE tell me someone has played this game. I think it's a great title with a few marred spots, but It really made me feel good about my faith ^^

PS- Another cool thing, is that you a beginning class is a Cleric, which looks to be in his/her 20's, but can change class to Priest, which looks to be about 60..anyway, If a priest dies, he can be transfiqured to a Holy Angel! I know, I know, probably not a REAL angel, but more of a heavenly knight. And you get a female angel very late in the game, who loves her God and fights with a Holy Piercing sword! (My heavenly Knight fights with a Sacred Whip)
Usso-M

Postby Razgriz » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:43 am

Sounds like an interesting game, a very nice review indeed. You're gonna make me go out and buy a GBA just for this game.

P.S. how long is the game?
Razgriz

Postby Technomancer » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:23 am

It seems the whole reason the fallen angel fell is not because he was jealous of God, but he just wanted God to love him more. Naniiii!?

Interesting. This idea actually has a fairly old pedigree, although has it has never been considered orthodox. At least one of the variants has Lucifer motivated by jealousy of God's plans for man. There are a few others that I know of as well (although I can't remember their origins, except for one Sufi tradition that I've only heard in summary).

Anyways, it sounds like an interesting game. Out of curiosty, what do you mean by "S"-RPG, and what platforms has it been released for?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Usso-M » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:04 am

S-RPG is a Stragety RPG, played on a isometric grid. Think Final Fantasy Tactics or Starcraft (sorta). I personally think that Lucifer was jealous of God's power, and tried to overthrow heaven. Err, are there any bible passages that say how the Devil got to be the Devil?

http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/gba/10.html Here are some screenshots. It IS in english, BTW. On the same site, you can find the ending for TO:KOL. The blue haired guy is the main character, and the blond man in the cape is Rictor, the Holy Priest.
Usso-M

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:20 pm

That's a very interesting fact. I might have to spend some time and effort checking this one out.

Oh, and there are definitely passages about how Satan became Satan, but at the moment I don't have the time to look them up for you. I'll do it, but I'm sure someone else will beat me to the punch.
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:58 pm

Hmm... Biblical understanding of Satan requires cross-referencing old and new testaments... AKA a lot of study...

As for Tactics Ogre... It's not Christian... If you played the first Ogre Battle, you'd see that. The gameplay relies heavily on using Tarot cards, among other nuisances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:40 pm

Yeah, I found that very interesting and surprising. Good review. I highly recommend it for the GBA peoples. A good reason to get one too. I played most of the time during my very short beach trip last year, it rained the entire time. Hey, it kept me entertained! For that, I give it a 9.6 of out 10.

Sangoku wrote:P.S. how long is the game?

I'd say about 40 hours, that's about how long it took me. It is a slow game, but it didn't bother me. As for some of my friends, that's another story.

Bobtheduck wrote:As for Tactics Ogre... It's not Christian... If you played the first Ogre Battle, you'd see that. The gameplay relies heavily on using Tarot cards, among other nuisances.

That's why I found the GBA one interesting. It's different from the original Ogre Battle.
Link Antilles

Postby Usso-M » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:14 pm

I know, Link, exactly! Unlike, FFT, and FFX, this was for the MOST part, very pro-god! When I put the smack down on a fallen angel, body guard of Satan, with his stupid Dark Bow, I actually shouted "Yay God!"--^^; Anyways, it's different than other Ogre Battle series. I've played OB 64, but I couldn't make it past the first mission where you had to fight ogres, so I don't know how that turns out
Usso-M

Postby Razgriz » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:18 pm

Is satan actually called satan in this game? Interesting
Razgriz

Postby Usso-M » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:43 pm

No No No, he's called Shahrer.....I just remembered. And his stupid sword is called Anibicion.
Usso-M

Postby Razgriz » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:54 pm

Ah, I see, thanks for clearing that up. I'm probably going to buy a GBA for this game now....and FFTA. :)
Razgriz

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews