Xenosaga

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Xenosaga

Postby MasterDias » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:09 pm

Has anyone here played and/or completed Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht? I got it back in May. The fact being that it's a heavily anime-influenced RPG and because there are a lot of RPG gamers on the board, I was wondering how many here have played it or are considering getting it.

Comments? Questions? Complaints? anyone?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:12 pm

I own a copy. What do you think about it?
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Saint » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:00 pm

Yep, me too. i completed this episode a few months back... (these new RPG's that are a continuous story are... interesting, but they really leave you hanging). Go Albedo! :evil:
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:06 pm

That was one wicked scene. :grin:
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby blue elf » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:27 pm

I've beaten it, but I don't own it.(Blockbuster is my friend. :lol: ) I thought it was ok, but there were a few things that freaked me out though, like that one room in the building where you had to rescue momo the first time that had like an upside down cross on the wall and Junior's hand(I know it was like his production no. but it still freaked me out a bit. ^^) And there were a few other things, but of course the Xeno-games seem to have a lot of weird Christion symbolism and stuff for some unknown reason. Probably for the same reason Evangelion had it, to get people's attention. The game itself wasn't all that bad, unless of course you don't like interactive movies. :lol: I like lots of cutscenes and stuff like that though so it didn't bother me, and the animation was really good in my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't reccommend this game to anyone who is easily offended. I don't know how much I really like the new gaming thing of making you play a whole series of games just to make one story. I think the gaming industry is just trying to make more money off of us poor game addicts. :sweat: I'm done rambling now.
-BlueElf :grin:
blue elf

Postby MasterDias » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:04 pm

It was a decent RPG. It's not my favorite but I liked it. There were a few complaints I had though. They only had one battle theme for both regular and boss battles which stunk and the music was lacking in the dungeons but what it did have during the cutscenes and all was excellent. After all, the composer was Mitsuda, the same guy who did Chrono Trigger,Chrono Cross, and Xenogears, so how can it not be excellent. :sweat:

The battle system could've been somewhat better. It sometimes felt like I was just using Special Techs a lot. Some of those Techs, while cool looking and all, got a little old after you saw them for the hundredth time.

I enjoyed the characters and story. Albedo is one of those strange and creepy villians.

The religious symbolism was . . .interesting to say the least. I doubt it's quite as strange as Evangelion which I haven't seen so I wouldn't know everthing about what it's religious symbolism contains. I didn't notice anything anti-Christian and I doubt the maker's intended for it to be taken that way. I think it would be actually less offensive then Xenogears might be.

Oh yeah, another thing I enjoyed was the in-game database. The game's script was well written and has little references to everything from H.G.Wells to The Wizard of Oz. The database was helpful for when you overlooked something and the entries were an interesting read.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blue elf » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:21 pm

Well, I'm not sure about all the symbolism in Xenogears, since I have yet to beat it. :lol: I doubt that the symbolism is intended to be offensive or anything, but I just thought I'd mention a little of it just in case anyone wanted to know. I did like some of the music in Xenosaga. I have 2 of the songs on my comp. Don't remember the names, but one of them is the theme they played at the end. My favorite character was chaos and Albedo was just weeeeeeird... :sweat: He scared me.
-BlueElf :dance:
blue elf

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews