Quick question about FFX

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Quick question about FFX

Postby Lyger » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:40 pm

in FFX i am fighting this summoner... i beat his Ifrit and flying bird creature.... but his Bahumut slaughters me what to do what to do...
Lyger

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:59 pm

Lyger wrote:in FFX i am fighting this summoner... i beat his Ifrit and flying bird creature.... but his Bahumut slaughters me what to do what to do...

I haven't played this game in a long time! Ummmm...

You can:
1. Level up!
2. Save you best for last.
3. Find out what types beat what
4. GameFaqs! I don't recommend this, It kinda ruins the game. I hate using guides for FF games.
5. Level up!
Link Antilles

Postby MillyFan » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:49 am

Hmmmm. I haven't played FFX yet (I want a PS2, LOL) but I have some ideas since I've played a lot of the other games.

1: Are your levels high enough? In FFX, with the sphere grid system, is there a stat like "magic defense," "defense," "HP," or "attack?" Basically I would advise a constant focus on HP and magic defense, or if it's a physical attack that kills your characters, on "attack" so your characters can get in more damage first.

That brings me to my second point:

2: Are your characters attacking the Bahamut's weakness? Usually summoned monsters have a specific weakness, and if you focus on that, you should get it before it gets you.

3: Equipment. Are your characters properly equipped with armor, weapons, accessories that are effective? For example, if the Bahamut casts Death on all party members, you need to equip an accessory that counters death attacks on at least your healer, and preferably another to your best fighter.

4: Patterns. If you've unsuccessfully fought something, you should have some idea of its attack. Let's say the monster physically attacks all members, quickly recharges, and then casts a high-damage fire attack on everyone in the party. To thwart a defeat here, you need to not use your healer's turn and then, immediately before or right after the physical attack barrage, skip all others, quickly go to him/her, and use a healing method that heals everyone in the party.

5: Sometimes chance plays a huge role. I can attest to this because when I was trying to finish the very last battle of FFIX, the one against Necron, my party of Zidane, Dagger, Amarant, and Vivi would as a rule get killed. Basically, it would use an attack that would make Zidane unable to use his limit break (Grand Lethal) and although I would do everything else right (from having Vivi use one of the Dark Matter items I had on it and Amarant the other in my opening round to having Dagger heal every round and equipping auto-life to everyone) I would lose.

Anyway, I kept fighting it, and kept losing. However, one time when I played one last time, I thought I was going to lose again. Basically, even though for once it hadn't killed Zidane or taken his trance gauge to nothing rendering him useless, it had killed everyone else in the party. Then it hit him with something that dropped his HP to 100. I thought it was over, but that hit had activated the limit break-and the next hits from Necron were all the "HP 1 Left But Nonfatal" attack (forgot its name)

Anyway, for three turns I had Zidane using Grand Lethal at 9999 points a hit while all Necron did was take away 99 HP, leaving Zidane at 1-but alive. On the third hit with GL, the final boss of FFIX was no more. -^.^-

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:44 am

Well, other than what the people I have said, I have only two things. First, remember that your aeon's stats change in accordance with Yuna's. Use her in battles to make them stronger.

Also, are you going into the battle with everyone at Overdrive? I mean all your aeons plus Yuna. That way you can Grand Summon one of them and hit them with two Overdrives in a row.

One way you could do it. Use your own Bahamutt on the first two, using up his Overdrive but not the Grand Summon. Then, Grand Summon whoever is your strongest. In theory, you should have multiple aeons to take down the one, and each one will join the fight with an Overdrive. Tell us if you win.
uc pseudonym

Postby Zal-Utaon III » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:21 am

what summoner are you fighting? The one that wanders in to you on the street?
If itd optional get lvl up or avoid it. Or buy yoJimbo the best aeon ever. Add use him in the duel.

You propally not far enough or got enough mony for him. dont mind me
:mutter:
"Gha Bah Glab.. Bah Bah ha.. The Foolish Samurai" -Aku
Zal-Utaon III

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:27 am

UC's right. To beat him strait up, you probably need those overdrives. Where are you at, exactly? There are some locations that you cannot level up before the battle, if you haven't already. If you are in one of these places, where is your last save? I know it kinda sucks, but you may have to go back to get them ready. But there are a few other strategies:
1. Alternatively, you can cast shell on your Bahamut and your other characters. Shell is good for protecting against magic attacks.
2. If you are fighting the sumoner who has his brothers along, his bahamut won't attack with anything other than it's overdrive. Have you aeons attack while he counts down. When he hits 1, have your aeon defend to minimize the damage.

Let us know what happens.
Mithrandir

Postby Zal-Utaon III » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:31 am

GET YOJIMBO dont listen to their lies
"Gha Bah Glab.. Bah Bah ha.. The Foolish Samurai" -Aku
Zal-Utaon III

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:07 am

It isn't a very fun strategy, but you can just use your Overdrive, defend/heal/Shell until your meter is full, then use it again. You really can win this way.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:26 am

Unless he's THAT much more powerfull than you...
Mithrandir

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:53 am

One word: Unleash. Even if you lose it's fun.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:56 am

Unleash?
Mithrandir

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:37 pm

Unleash everything you've got. No holding back. To the hilt. Etc.
Michael

Postby MasterDias » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:33 pm

Summoned battles took me a little bit of time to get used too. What Oldphilosopher said was basically correct. Make sure to defend when Bahamut uses it's overdrive and the damage you take will be halved.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:35 pm

Michael wrote:Unleash everything you've got. No holding back. To the hilt. Etc.

Oh! I thought you knew about a different command, or something. :lol:
Mithrandir

Postby Straylight » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:57 am

Use an elemental aeon too. These can heal, allowing them to survive much longer so that you can use multiple overdrive attacks...
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:42 am

<Use an elemental aeon too. These can heal, allowing them to survive much longer so that you can use multiple overdrive attacks...>
Sound advice.
Michael

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:57 pm

Do you know how fun using Ixion on the Thunder Plains is? I get a kick out of four thunder based enemies teaming up on him...
uc pseudonym

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:03 pm

<I get a kick out of four thunder based enemies teaming up on him...>

Haha! Yeah, that's pretty fun.
Michael

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews