Thinking of buying "The Sims"

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Thinking of buying "The Sims"

Postby MillyFan » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:23 am

I'm really interested in this game because I like the general idea, and I think I would like the game itself-I'm considering whether or not to buy next month.

I do have a few questions though. . .

First of all, what is the content? Anything particularly objectionable? And is it possible to avoid that content through playing The Sims a certain way (as you alluded to when I asked about keeping the characters from developing yaoi relationships?)

Secondly, what are the base specifications for a PC to run it? Will it run on Windows XP, 500MB RAM, NVidia GeForce 2 Integrated (Yeah. I know it's a loser card, but it's better than nothing LOL)

Thirdly, which if any of the expansion packs do you recommend? I know some I'd never get (the date one and one other one) but I heard Unleashed was good.

Finally, is there a place you can go online to download fan-made skins and hacks to customize the house and the sims in it? Also, can you upload such things from a CD-R that you've saved them to (since the computer I would be installing it on isn't connected to the Net like this one) I'd personally like to set up a sim house with all Final Fantasy characters or a mixed anime character sim house.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Master Kenzo » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:23 am

MillyFan wrote:First of all, what is the content? Anything particularly objectionable?

In *some* of the expansion packs *coughhotdatecough* there is some objectionable content - in Livin' Large there's stuff like a genie lamp and some similar items.

MillyFan wrote:And is it possible to avoid that content through playing The Sims a certain way (as you alluded to when I asked about keeping the characters from developing yaoi relationships?)

Well, if you don't get Hot Date, I'd say it would be fine. You have to control the Sim's interactions though to make sure they don't get *too* friendly to members of the same sex. (I've never had it happen, but I've seen the options pop up)

MillyFan wrote:Secondly, what are the base specifications for a PC to run it? Will it run on Windows XP, 500MB RAM, NVidia GeForce 2 Integrated (Yeah. I know it's a loser card, but it's better than nothing LOL)

It should work, The Sims is not too processor intensive. I would recommend at least 500Mhz though, for super speed :lol:

MillyFan wrote:Thirdly, which if any of the expansion packs do you recommend? I know some I'd never get (the date one and one other one) but I heard Unleashed was good.

I have Unleashed, it's an excellent pack, just make sure you get the patch or your Sims will stand to watch TV and water will go under objects.

MillyFan wrote:Finally, is there a place you can go online to download fan-made skins and hacks to customize the house and the sims in it?

You can make your own houses easily]Also, can you upload such things from a CD-R that you've saved them to (since the computer I would be installing it on isn't connected to the Net like this one) I'd personally like to set up a sim house with all Final Fantasy characters or a mixed anime character sim house.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the CD-R thing would work. As long as you copy the files over. After all, The Sims uses a CD to install itself.

Hope I've been helpful.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:38 pm

Whew! Well I think everything has been covered except maybe 2 things.

1.) Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space cause man oh man when you start adding expansion packs does that game hog space.

2.) There is a slightly cheating way for you to get all the expansion packs without buying them. You just need a friend who has them. Let me try to explain. When you buy an expansion pack that is the disk you put in to play, and any characters or items you installed from expansion packs that are below it (came our before it) will still appear in your game. So... if you buy on the the newest packs (like superstar or unleashed) you just need to borrow vacation, house party, etc. from a friend and install them first THEN install your new expansion pack (superstar or unleashed). You can then give the game back to your friend and you will still have all the items, characters, house decorations, places to visit (like downtown), that appear in the lower expansion packs.

Well I hope I explained it ok. If you are confused just PM me and I will try to do a better job. My sister and I figured this out ourselves! :)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews