The Sims

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

The Sims

Postby DuelShocker3 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:01 am

Anyone else enjoy playing this game? I have all the expantion packs except for Livin Large. I've never played the one on PS2 either.
DuelShocker3

Postby Master Kenzo » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:23 pm

*turns around and stares at mom's computer, which currently has The Sims on it, then remembers his friends who also have & love the game*

Uhm...funny you asked. I enjoy The Sims, but I only have one out of (what? 7?) expanion packs: Unleashed, which I got two days ago.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby HeavensTek » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:28 pm

i was playing the sims for a little while....

until my sims turned gay on me..... :shady:

i was forced to kill them and delete it.
HeavensTek

Postby Kenchii » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:45 pm

The sims was not very interesting to me. Being 'the controler' of other people life...is boring, and seems like a type of game that if you have nothing-better-to-do-thing. But many of my friends love that game. They have all of them. O well, diffrent options I guess.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:52 pm

HeavensTek wrote:
i was forced to kill them and delete it.

[color=darkblue] *Aarons laugher explodes from abuse*
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Master Kenzo » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:10 am

My sims all die in fires... :(
Master Kenzo

Postby HeavensTek » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:36 am

put a smoke alarm in every room :thumb:
HeavensTek

Postby Master Kenzo » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:25 pm

Yes, it becomes quite hard though, when you have about $7...:lol:
Master Kenzo

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:43 pm

I once saw part of a debate at GameDev.net that was talking about whether The Sims is actually a game or just a toy. When you stop and think about it, is there actually an end goal--or does it just continue on forever? What is the challenge element, if it exists? These are just some of my ponderings; don't take them to heart. ^_^

(By the way, I usually cheat and give my Sims a ton of money so they can do what they like without having to work. Who says it has to be like real life? ^_~ )
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Oh that silly BÖC.

Postby Erenan » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:47 pm

My Sims family was the Blue Öyster Cult. It was hilarious to think of Buck Dharma as a senator, but even that got boring after enough time. They had a really nice house, though.
Seven Taco Button

"'The rhodes and honkies are not effective!' Cried one of the angry women, 'Prepare the twelve foot grand!'"

Erenan, Guitar Robot and Progressive Avant-Rock Jazz Metalhead Extraordinaire
Erenan

Postby Spencer » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:34 am

After awhile, it gets to be work, they are whining about being hungry and wanting to sleep, and needing to go to the bathroom. It's like a chore, rather than a game...The only element I truly enjoyed was designing houses. That's so fun, making a dream home. I, of course, have to cheat, but still fun. I made a replica of my Aunt's massive house. It actually looked realistic. But I rarely play the game any more...
:)
Spencer

Postby MillyFan » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:10 pm

I REALLY want to play The Sims, but can someone explain to me how to keep a celibate (or at least non-yaoi) household?

All the people that I know that play it have ran into the problem of yaoi or bi households or even worse everyone wanting each other sexually. Yech.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Master Kenzo » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:59 pm

Try controlling your Sim's social interactions - don't let them do anything without your approval.
Master Kenzo

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:04 pm

That's right... in the Options menu, there should be a toggle switch labelled "Free Will" that is set to on by default. Turn this off and your characters won't be able to do anything except what you tell them to (except for visitors; you have no control over them either way).
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:06 pm

Another tip for MillyFan: NEVER EVER PUT IN THE HEART HOT TUB!!!

But I have to agree, the game gets boring after a while. Actually after a quick while. I guess that is why they released all the expansion packs. We have all the packs except the superstar one, and we have even done wired stuff like put a pool in the middle of the house so they have to swim everywhere. And made a "house of horrors" in which we put everything a Sim could possibly harm themselves with. But yeah it gets boring. And whenever we throw a party the stupid mime always shows up. :)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

That was pretty fun.

Postby Erenan » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:17 pm

I once made a house on the biggest plot of land in which the first floor was nothing but a hedge maze and a bathroom at the center. To get inside the real house, which was the second floor, you had to get all the way through the maze, and nobody ever seemed to be able to do it. I had to add a secret staircase on the side to let my family in and out.

This got boring eventually as well.
Seven Taco Button

"'The rhodes and honkies are not effective!' Cried one of the angry women, 'Prepare the twelve foot grand!'"

Erenan, Guitar Robot and Progressive Avant-Rock Jazz Metalhead Extraordinaire
Erenan

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:18 am

I hate to dogs in Sims unleashed. They pee everywhere... >_<

Oh and Erenan that is pretty funny about the maze. My sister had a "secret staircase" in one of her houses. But I told her it wasn't secret since there was a normal door that opened to it. :) I have also tried naming them after different anime characters and then seeing who couples up. The outcomes are quite interesting.... ;)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

MyrrhLynn

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:36 pm

Hmm, I've never played. I used to play Sim Copter for unholy amounts of time, but that's about it. Oh, and I used to play Sim City a lot too. But that was pre internet, ps2 ... it was pre-a lot of stuff. However, one of my non-gamer friends loves The Sims. I mean, this girl wouldn't know the difference if you handed her a Dreamcast controller upside-down and made her play for a few minutes. So if she likes it, then it's got to be a fun game.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:06 pm

This girl also pratically lives in harvest moon...I think that alone discredits her. ;)
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:09 pm

[quote="Ashley"]This girl also pratically lives in harvest moon...I think that alone discredits her. ]

Moi? I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:24 pm

Uh huh...we find her talking to her chickens all the time. She has one named Chalupa you know, and if I remember correctly, Chimichanga. I think she did it to mock me.
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:39 pm

Chalupa is a cool name for a Harvest Moon chicken!
Gypsy

Postby DuelShocker3 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:38 pm

How did this thread go from talking about the Sims to Harvest Moon chickens? LOL. ;)
DuelShocker3

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:23 pm

I've never played Harvest Moon, but I've heard that it's like an anime-ish version of The Sims. Anyone care to verify/deny that (just for the sake of my own curiosity)?
TheMelodyMaker

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:33 pm

Well if all you ever do in the Sims is plant in the little garden plot all day long then yes I guess it would be similar to Harvest Moon. :grin: The main difference is that Harvest Moon actually has a plot, and you get little cut scenes throught the game.

And I named all my animals in Harvest Moon after my sisters. :dizzy: And actually Chalupa is a pretty good name. I think the best name i have ever come up with is Ramly for one of my sheep.

MyrrhLynn

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews