Is time travel into the past real?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Is time travel into the past real?

Postby theblackmist » Thu May 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Is Time Travel into the past real?

http://thegreattimemachinerace.weebly.com

Someone claims to be inventing a time machine and that he has came up with an object that would allow for the time machine to go both forward and backwards in time.

What do you think? Does the bible support time travel going both ways?
theblackmist

Re: Is time travel into the past real?

Postby Xeno » Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 am

Why would a holy book that is 2000 to 6000 years old say anything about time travel?
Xeno

Postby goldenspines » Fri May 03, 2013 8:57 am

Not sure if serious...

Strictly speaking, there is no mention of humans time traveling in the Bible or even any mention of time travel at all. God transcends all time for example, but that doesn't really count as time travel.
As from what I've researched, the origin of time travel began in Hinduism literature, actually. But I think it's an idea that has fascinated human kind for ages. The mysteries of the past and future~ All romanticized fun stuff until you get attacked by Morlocks.*

I once heard it said that time travel would be possible if humans could achieve the speed of light, but I don't know all the technicalities behind it. :I Obviously there are other theories like being able to travel through another dimension, and I even once heard that black holes or wormwholes could transport people through time (see the Star Trek reboot movie or the TV show Doctor Who for examples of these), but no one has been brave/stupid enough to try it out. XD;

But in response to you question "Is time travel to the past/future real?", I don't know. Why do you try it out and tell us of your findings?

*see: H.G. Wells, The Time Machine
goldenspines

Postby Mullet Death » Sun May 12, 2013 9:46 am

I'm kind of with this Xeno guy here on this one. The Bible is not a work of science and was never intended to be by any of its authors.

That being said, personally, mostly on philosophical grounds, I don't think time travel into the past is possible. We've all seen anime and various other works that deal with the subject, and they're always full of ridiculous impossible paradoxes or else try to get around that with the notion that there are multiple universes and any "time travel" would actually involve another universe to be paradox-free. I find both incredibly silly personally. Having watched a few episodes of "Through the Wormhole," however, I will admit it may be possible to travel into the future, but only one-way, and/or to travel "back" to the beginning point of a time "loop" which would apparently begin the moment a time-travel device was used, if I understand the concept correctly.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Xeno » Sun May 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Silly as the multiverse theory sounds to some people, there are well respected scientists that are giving the idea enough creedance because some things indicate that things might work that way. That said, a multiverse theory does not bring along with it concepts that new universe are created everytime we make a choice (because a different timeline would have stemmed from the other choice), not does it even state that Humans or Earth or the Milky Way galaxy exist in these other universes due to how galaxies and planets and life are formed and evolve. Traveling at or near light speed would be be closest we could get to time travel due to the time dialation that occurs at that speed, but you're not really time traveling then, you're just going so fast that time has slowed down for you, while it has continued at the regular rate for the external universe.
Xeno

Postby LastLfan » Thu May 16, 2013 7:51 pm

God exists outside of time and created time as a boundary for his creation,
Therefore God can control time, such as halting the revolution and rotaion of earth to prolong the day. So I suppose time travel could be possible but at the moment only by divine intervention. As for the multiverse theory, love the idea, feel like there would just be so many worlds it be impossible to keep track of:ie the world where i ate cereal instead of a poptart for breakfest. Plus multiverse always makes me think doctor who
LastLfan

Return to Christian Growth Q&A