Wrong?

The purpose of the forum is to allow people to post spiritual questions for which they would like answers from their fellow board members.

Wrong?

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Weird question, but how do you tell when you do something wrong?

My brother & sister constantly tell me the things i watch/read are demonic, but i don't feel like they are until they say so, then i feel guilty like i've done something wrong.

I know it's weird but it worries me alot...
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Re: Wrong?

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am

What's wrong for a Christian differs from Christian to Christian - there are multiple verses that deal with convicion and openly state that what bothers one might not another, and that the whole shtick is to respect those that have different comfort levels.

The big quote:
1 Cor. 8: 8, 10, 13
8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

To break down what it's saying:
The meat represents things you read and watch - it is neither good nor bad for you. It is what it is. Now, anime and manga might have certain things that aren't Christian (like when they go to a temple to pray at new Year's), but you have the spiritual stregnth to not be bothered by it. That is okay and doesn't make you a bad person, and doesn't affect you. Your brother and sister might not have the spiritual stregnth to deal with it, which might be why they call it demonic, but that simply means that you shouldn't force them to read or watch it.

You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty.

If there is anything that ever makes you spiritually uncomfortable, then don't watch it or read it. But that doesn't mean that you stop reading books or watching television altogether - just stop watching/reading what makes you uncomfortable.
Atria35

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:52 am

Basically what Atria said. I'm just gonna throw in my thoughts, too. Just remember this passage can't be applied to all aspects of our lives, because then it would be a get-out-of-jail-free card, and people would use it whenever someone tells them what they're doing is wrong. If there's ever Scripture against what you're doing, then you need to follow it. As far as what you're reading/watching goes, as long as it isn't openly against the Bible, you need to follow your conviction. If you'll listen to God and have a relationship with Him, He'll let you know if it's wrong. As far as feeling guilty after someone mentions it to you, it's normal to feel guilty when someone calls you out on something, even if it isn't wrong, as long as you aren't sure about it. But once again following the passage, it's not worth being at odds with your siblings about it. So I would try not to argue with them about it. If they don't agree with it, respect their convictions and don't get upset with them. Just remember that in hard times, your siblings will come alongside and support you, but the movies/books won't. :)
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 am

ClaecElric4God wrote: Just remember this passage can't be applied to all aspects of our lives, because then it would be a get-out-of-jail-free card, and people would use it whenever someone tells them what they're doing is wrong. If there's ever Scripture against what you're doing, then you need to follow it.

Agreeing and adding/clarifying on this: Paul was writing about meat sacrificed to a Pagan idol to represent those things that the Bible doesn't specifically prohibit against. For instance, the Bible never condemns eating meat sacrificed to a Pagan idol. Because there are a lot of grey areas like that in life, he was telling people to use their own judgement and spiritual conviction.
As far as feeling guilty after someone mentions it to you, it's normal to feel guilty when someone calls you out on something, even if it isn't wrong, as long as you aren't sure about it.

So very, very true - and can even extend to times where you know for sure you're innocent and haven't done anything wrong. I've been in situations where I've been wrongly accused of doing something bad, and even though I know I was innocent, I still feel guilty and badly about it. That kind of reaction is very normal.
Atria35

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 am

Arigatou Atria your post was very helpful >.<

ClaecElric4God wrote: it's not worth being at odds with your siblings about it. So I would try not to argue with them about it. If they don't agree with it, respect their convictions and don't get upset with them. Just remember that in hard times, your siblings will come alongside and support you, but the movies/books won't. :)

Oh, i don't try to be at odds--but they constantly shove their beliefs down my throat.
It is mostly my fault for liking the stuff in the first place though ^^"...

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 am

How is it your fault for liking things they don't? You have your own tastes, they have theirs. Nothing to be ashamed of.
K. Ayato

Postby Xeno » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:36 pm

K. Ayato wrote:How is it your fault for liking things they don't? You have your own tastes, they have theirs. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Pretty much this along with everything Atria said for a bible perspective. You are going to like what you like and often find that some others can't appreciate or understand those things. You shouldn't feel guilty about what interests you or what tastes you have; unless it's Nickelback, there is no excuse to like Nickelback and you should feel ashamed for liking them if you do.
Xeno

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Xeno wrote:
K. Ayato wrote:How is it your fault for liking things they don't? You have your own tastes, they have theirs. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Pretty much this along with everything Atria said for a bible perspective. You are going to like what you like and often find that some others can't appreciate or understand those things. You shouldn't feel guilty about what interests you or what tastes you have; unless it's Nickelback, there is no excuse to like Nickelback and you should feel ashamed for liking them if you do.

Thankyou both ^^ My silbings just have a hard time excepting the things like (especially my sis...)

And lullaby is the only exception Xeno. The only exception XD

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Panda4christ:3 wrote:Oh, i don't try to be at odds--but they constantly shove their beliefs down my throat.
It is mostly my fault for liking the stuff in the first place though ^^"...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were. You're way too nice to be at odds with anyone. :)
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Hey Nickleback is cool!

To stay on topic I agree
Psycho Molos

Return to Christian Growth Q&A