Rules & Theme - Updated Monthly!

This forum contains the rules, the themes, and the entries for the monthly manga contest

Postby bakura_fan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:39 pm

extension? That might help...=_= however...I still don't have a scanner. ah well. it was good while i had it (the inspiration to draw mean...however when I had a scanner that wa good too). :)
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Ashley » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:09 pm

Aileen, I have mixed feelings about an extension. CK and Noblewreck both pushed themselves very hard to get it in pretty close to on time (btw, sorry I didn't see this earlier, guys, I only have limited internet access dependent on library schedules), so I feel a little funny giving them an extension now when poor CK was literally up all night. It doesn't seem fair. But on the other hand, I hate to tell you no. Let me talk to them and see what they think, and I'll try to let you know ASAP.
Ashley

Postby Aileen Kailum » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:17 pm

If I get my entry posted by midnight tonight, will it count?
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Ashley » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:39 am

Well, after speaking with CK and Noblewreck, an extension would be acceptable. Seeing as how we have 3 entries thus far under these guidelines, I am tempted to cut it off here and begin voting. However, if there is anyone else who is thinking of an entry but unsure because of the deadline confusion, let me know before this weekend and I will keep it open another week.
Ashley

Postby minakichan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:42 am

Eh, just cut it off there and post the April topic so people can go ahead and start on the next entry even before voting concludes. If you keep extending, it'll all add up and eventually this thing will get off by several months, or it'll die out from being too slow.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Ashley » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:43 am

Eh, just cut it off there and post the April topic so people can go ahead and start on the next entry even before voting concludes.

Well, actually we won't know the next topic because that's determined in part by the winner's of this month's contest.

If you keep extending, it'll all add up and eventually this thing will get off by several months, or it'll die out from being too slow.

Well, I doubt I would let that happen, though April/May could be squished together as a countermeasure. There is still one person who may or may not enter, but voting will probably ensue Monday of next week.
Ashley

Postby Ashley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:44 am

Ok, I decided to go ahead and call it with three entries for this month. Voting is now open until next Friday (4/11).
Ashley

Postby RidleyofZebes » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:15 am

Out of curiosity... Are 4-panel style entries acceptable? I mean like, 3 to 10 pages worth of course, but would that cut it?

I can see many possibilities with this, if it is allowed. As you most likely know, a 4-panel setup follows the setup-setup-hook-punch format. At 2 sets of 4-panel comics per page, plus an additional full-character sketch before the first one (if deemed necessary), I see limitless possibilities.

Would this be allowed in the CAA Monthly Manga Contest, is the question though.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Ashley » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:35 am

Absolutely! I'm completely open to new/different/unorthodox paneling. Go for it! I can't wait to see what you cook up with this.
Ashley

Postby Ashley » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:36 pm

Alright, a winner has been chosen and the theme has been updated for next month (see first post). Also, because the March contest ran long, I've decided to run April/May together and reset the montly schedule for June.
Ashley

Postby soul alive » Thu May 01, 2008 5:10 pm

Hey, awesome idea. I'll definitely try to do something for this month. ^_^

(I know this is totally belated, but I'm just stumbling onto things again on CAA after an extended absence. ^^ )
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Ashley » Tue May 13, 2008 10:47 am

Hey everyone! Just a quick reminder that the deadline is coming up soon!

And also, I am going to be unavailable to make the requisite voting threads, so I'm asking Cap'n Nick to take over for me for this month.
Ashley

Postby minakichan » Sat May 17, 2008 6:46 pm

=_= I want to enter but examssssss. Might try to enter the next one (hopefull w/ anon).
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu May 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Per Ashley's announcement, I'm getting ready to coordinate voting for the May contest. Problem is, I'm not seeing any entries! If you've got anything hiding in the closet, now's the time to bring it out!
Cap'n Nick

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat May 24, 2008 1:30 am

Last call for entries!
Cap'n Nick

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:54 pm

Well. Now what?
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Aileen Kailum

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 am

Well. I'm not really sure. I mean, it seems silly to keep doing this if no one wants to enter, but then again, maybe it's just the busy-ness at the end of the school year?

I'm actually a little depressed about this.
Ashley

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:47 pm

I would like to enter again. I was just pretty sure I couldn't enter that last one since I won the one previous.

Aileen Kailum

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:07 am

Well, I can't draw to save my life, but I've enjoyed reading the entries so far, and I think it'd be a shame to completely give up on this. It's rather fun. Since I can't draw, I'd be happy to collaborate with somebody. I might be able to help with a concept/story.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby minakichan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

I'm free again; wasn't able to enter the last one b/c of school. I imagine this was a problem with other people too. Might draw something up, but it'd take a while >_>;

._. are we still using the Apr/May contest topic, or can I just do whatever? Cuz I already have an idea.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby soul alive » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:58 am

School was a problem for me as well, I know I am definitely interested in participating now that I'm free for the summer.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:22 pm

So are we going ahead with the contest for June? And if so, what's the theme?

Aileen Kailum

Postby The Last Bard » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:07 am

well, after much traveling, I have finally returned. so you should post the new theme, because June is already nearly halfway over! ;D
The Last Bard

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:24 pm

Perhaps you guys should just reuse the hide-and seek theme which didn't get any entries...Since there were no participants/winner, there was no new official theme. I dunno, but that seems logical to me.
Esoteric

Postby goldenspines » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 pm

If it's any consolation, now that school is out for the summer, I have a lot more time and I am very much more inclined to enter this contest. If you decide to keep it going, that is. ^_^;
goldenspines

Postby minakichan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:00 am

Hey, so I'm certainly not running this thing, but since there's definitely some response and we all want to start, how about all of us interested agree to just continue the topic "Hide and Seek" and set a deadline for the last day of June?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Aileen Kailum » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Works for me.

Aileen Kailum

Postby Noblewreck » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 pm

[color="Lime"]Sounds good. I like to see what folks come up with[/color]
Noblewreck

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Has anyone started yet? Only eleven days to go!

I'm starting to remember how much I dislike drawing buildings. And perspective. Oh well. Now or nothing.

Aileen Kailum

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:51 am

Hey guys, I think it's awesome you all decided to keep going. I was out of town for a while, so I wasn't quite sure what would happen to this, but it looks like there were capable hands. :thumbsup:
Ashley

Previous Next

Return to Monthly Manga Contest