Witnessing

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

Witnessing

Postby express » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:48 am

I know it is our duty to witness to everyone, to share the Gospel with everyone. I've started by passing out tracts to people wherever I go. But I'm still scared to actually go up to someone, not even just a stranger but one of my friends, and witness to them by actually speaking to them face to face. I'm scared of arguing and losing friendships. I know I shouldn't be scared to do it, but I am still. I thought after the yelling fits of my mom, I could witness to anyone, but there are still times when I am afraid (actually, a lot of times).

There is this little sign on my father's truck's dashboard that says, "Do it afraid." Maybe I should do that. I don't know. I've been praying about this a lot recently and asking the Spirit to teach me how to witness, when to witness, and for the courage and strength to take any condemnation or ridicule or argument that comes my way. It hasn't happened quite yet (except for my mother), but I know I have to witness.

Please pray for me that the Lord will teach me how to witness to family, friends, and strangers and for courage and strength when I am condemned by the world for the sake of the Gospel.
express

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:16 pm

I practice relational witnessing. Naturally, I always look for opportunities where God opens a door in which I can share a witness of His saving power. But I have found that one is most effective in witnessing as they develop a relationship with another person be it family, friend, someone at work or school or people you come into contact with at places like banks, grocery stores, etc. As a person gets to know you they become more comfortable around you. They see the fact that there is somethng different about you life from others they might know. And in time they want to know more about that difference. This opens the door naturally to being able to share with them. A confrontational approach more times than not leads to disagreements and fights. There is some material entitled Building Witnessing Relationships. If there is enough interest I would be happy to share this in the Bible Study section as an ongoing study for several weeks.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:27 pm

That's one of the most difficult parts of Christian life... you have my prayers.
uc pseudonym

Return to Prayer Room