Claudette/Coastal Texans

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

Claudette/Coastal Texans

Postby Ashley » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:56 pm

I'm sure many of you are aware that a tropical storm is heading straight for the Texas coast, especially if you've seen the nightly news lately. I myself live near Houston, and remember quite vividly tropical storm Allison...most of the downtown area was flooded, hospitals like my mother's suffered heavy, heavy damages, and many people at my church lost their homes. Now, we're facing a second storm. No matter where it hits, people are likely to lose livelihoods, faith, possessions or their own lives. Then there's the technical aspect...our phonelines may go out, as well as our computers and tvs, etc., and while these aren't necessities, it will make it trying for some families to get through. I just ask that we cover the coast in our prayers already, and ask God use this to magnify Him. Countless people come to terms with Christ after a natural disaster, and this will perhaps be no different. Either way, this should merit our prayers.

Oh, p.s. for anyone concerned, don't worry about me or my family. Our house is virtually flood-proof since it's built on a rather large hill. The wrost that could happen to us is we lose internet/electricity/phone priveligies for a few days.
Ashley

Postby blueraven » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:13 pm

I lived in Texas for about 3 years but I was a bit young to really remember anything. Everything was just the same ol' thunder storms to me. I can't really remember if anything "bad" happened on base. But still, I've lived on the east coast all my life and have always been one to think of the worse possible situations when any news of a natual distater. As always my prayers go out to everyone. And you most certianly are right about people coming to Christ in times of need, a little sad to think of it that way but whatever it takes.
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:54 pm

I lived in Texas for 4 years while attending seminary in Fort Worth. While we were too far inland to have to worry too much about hurricanes, we did deal with high winds and tornados. I had the opportunity to travel to Florida after Andrew hit and help with relief there. The devestation was unimaginable. The total force of these storms is hard to comprehend unless one sees the effects first hand. Hopefully the storm will not gather much more strength than it has already. My prayers are with everyone in that area. Our Lord who can calm the storms can calm the storms in the hearts of the people there.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby inkhana » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:22 pm

I pray you guys will all be ok!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Shinja » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:43 am

being from florida i am very used to hurricanes and thier effects. i pray that the storm will not be very bad.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:01 pm

Likewise.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:48 pm

Well, thank God my part of town didn't get pummelled. The most we got was some heavy rain at night and some in the morning....but no flooding or anything. Still, I was glad I didn't have to work this morning.
The folks in Kemah and Galveston are not as lucky though, so my prayers still go out to them. Thankfully, I was just the right amount north to miss the worst of Claudette.
Ashley

Return to Prayer Room