My First Sermon Ever

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

My First Sermon Ever

Postby Benu » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:07 pm

I ask you guys to really pray for me this week. I ask you guys to pray for my healing as I'm sick as I type this I am feeling A little better but not fully better. But the most odd thing happened today. A minister that went to my church a long time ago stoped by my house to day and he talked to my dad for awhile. I was resting in my room and I came out after he had left and then my dad told me he came by to tell me that he wanted me to preach at his church. :o But I said me? I'm just 17 and haven't gave even gave a Bible study in my life and he wants me to preach at his church? My dad said the LORD told him when he was in prayer to get me to preach at his church on sunday for the youth service he is having. I'm just still shocked about that I don't have a clue about what to preach on but I think I have some ideas. I've been look at the Bible studys you guys have posted on here too and alot of them seem interesting to. But I ask you guys to pray for me and for the LORD to give me the srength and the courage to bring forth a word. I am so nervous about this too because I am very shy and I freak out when speaking in front of people so pray for me that I don't.
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:35 pm

Hey man, you got my prayers. :]

I know what it's like to be afraid of speaking in public. O_o The only time I do okay in public is if I'm on stage singing. Makes no sense...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:51 pm

I will pray for you, and I already believe that God will work through you. The Bible says not to worry about how to tell people about God, and that His Spirit will bring the words to your heart. The Bible also says it is wrong to think that a person’s young age can keep them from teaching about God. And that includes yourself! So, roll up your sleeves and step right over your nervousness, because you're doing God's work, and He'll supply strength in your time of need.

I'll pray that as you study God's Word that the message He wants you to bring will begin to take shape in your heart and your mind. I'll also pray that those who will hear you will be open and receiving.

And tell us all about it later, ok?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:49 pm

Naturally, the first thing you will want to do is pray. Definately we will be praying for you but also gather around you other prayer warriors from within your youth group and the church as a whole.

You may have some ideas already to share, but I challenge you also to look around the congregation. There may be some special needs that you already know about or that God will open your eyes to. Your message should meet the needs of the people and edify or build them up. Never tear people down in your message always lift them up. People know already where they stand with the Lord, God wants to use you to show them how to get where they need to be. Think of yourself as a guide verbally leading those who need direction.

Based on what God has been showing you, seek His guidence for a text. Again, you may already have one in mind, or you may need to find one which will convey to the people what God wants them to learn. A good sermon will preach to you first before it gets to the people. In other words, what you share with the people should challenge your own life.

When the text has been secured you can begin to build a outline around it. The two most important areas of your message will be the opening and the closing. The opening will draw their interest, the closing will challenge them. If you leave these till last, they will end up receiving only a passing thought. Do them first while your mind is fresh. My advice is to keep the body of the message to around 3 major points. I have found in just about any church setting you will hold the people's attention for 20 to 25 minutes.

When you have your opening, body outline, and closing it's time to look for some illustrations. I am so thankful for the internet. It is now possible to go to a number of sites devoted to illustrations on just about any subject. Illustrations are very important as they drive home the point you are seeking to make. Jesus was the master of the use of illustrations (Parables). You will need about 5. One in your opening to help introduce your topic, one following each point you make, and one to help drive it home in the closing.

And you thought pastors just sat in their office and watched anime all day long. A good message will take close to 8 1/2 hours to prepare for. It is a lot of work, but if you are faithful in your preparation, God will bless the results.

In regard to being nervous, I don't know of any preacher who isn't. Your task is an awesome one, sharing God's word with His people. The Spirit will help you with this. I know of a couple things some people do. Some will pick out points at the back of the church and look from place to place. Some pick out certain friends in the congregation that they will look at. A friendly face helps to calm the nerves. But once you get started and are comfortable, try to make eye contact with as many people as possible. Direct eye contact conveys to the people that you are not only speaking to them, but are interested in who they are and where they are spiritually.

If you have any questions or need any help in finding something just PM me. I'll be happy to lend a hand.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Rashiir » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:37 pm

Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. (Even if I didn't know he was a preacher and knew what he was talking about.) Anyway, good luck, man, and don't worry about it. Just be prepared and that's all you can do.
Rashiir

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:49 am

Oh, and if you want to try out your sermon on us, I'd love to read your outlines.

And I don't know about you guys, but I think it's pretty cool to have a pastor kickin' around the boards.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby inkhana » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:28 am

Me too! :thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:32 am

O_O I think Rev. Doc said it all...and I know how you feel about the nervous thing...

We had a Youth Talent Show a while back in my youth group and everyone had to do something. I know all of the people in my youth group and such (we're small, like 12 poeple), but that night, there were tons of people I havn't even seen before.

I decided to read a story I had wrote. It was hard, my heart was beating, I don't even know why. I started with the explanation, knew I was stuttering, then swallowed and begun reading. As soon as I got through the first line, the nervousness was gone. The audience was riveted on every word.

Overcoming nervousness is like going through glass. (PLEASE don't try this at home) Once you break the barrier, it becomes a whole lot easier to keep going.

Good luck, and you're in my prayers. And listen to Rev. Doc, that's some amazing advice.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:37 am

Everyone's already taken what I was going to say... but you're definitely in my prayers. May the Spirit be with you on Sunday.
uc pseudonym

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:31 pm

Most definitely. You'll do just fine!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Benu » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:54 pm

I don't know if i'm suppose to put this here if not then move it or tell me or somthing. :)

This is my sermon I'm preaching tomorrow so hope you guys like it and tell me what you think about it. It's about the Body of Christ and how the church should work. So I hope I don't offend any one if you do things differently at your church seeing were all from different denominations and I know churchs very on how they do things so here go's

The Body of Christ

This sermon deals with the Body of Christ. Knowing that everyone plays a key role in the successful operation of the Body of Christ.

Introductory Verses: Luke 10:1-2, John 4:34-38, I Cor. 3:5-11

Luke 10:1-2: After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. Then He said to them, “The harvest to send out laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.

John 4:34-38: Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent me, and to finish His work. “Do you not say, ‘There are still four months and then comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! “And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. “For in this the saying is true: ‘One sows and another reaps.’ “I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors.â€
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Return to Prayer Room