Work

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

Work

Postby Lynna » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 am

Hello!
It's been a while, but some of you may remember that way back in November I posted a prayer request about finding a job and possibly moving. I ended up doing both, and I now work as a baker at a fast food chain. I work the graveyard shift, which has been difficult for me, because it makes it super hard to make friends, or even have very much human contact at all. Luckily, I've befriended some people at church, and am going to a morning Bible Study, which has definitely helped.

Work has been hard, though. My Aunt said once that it sounds like I'm doing enough work for two people (I work most of the night alone, as the store is not open 24 hours. My job mostly involves cleaning and baking stuff for the next day) and sometimes it really, really seems that way. But that is not really the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that I've been having trouble getting on with my supervisor, the person I have to see the most at work. She is not a terrible person, but she can be very moody some days, and is always scolding me for something, which I wouldn't mind at all...if it weren't that she never gives me positive feedback. I can count the number of times that I can remember that she's noticed when I've done something well on two fingers. I've been trying really hard to please her, and to bear with her grumpy moods, but...after almost three months, it's gotten discouraging. Even though I'm improving, all she sees are my mistakes.

And then today, I couldn't work up the courage to tell her that something had been done wrong by the night shift, because even though it's not my fault, she tends to extend the blame to me. (Plus, the night shift people--And everyone else at work, for that matter--Have been very nice to me. I can tell them what they did wrong myself.) But it probably caused her problems, and so she'll probably think it was me and be mad tomorrow. And that will not be easy for me. She is not a very fun person to be around when she's angry.

My Dad thinks that maybe I should just quit, but I don't really want to. It's not a bad job, it's nearby, the pay is decent, and all my other coworkers are really awesome. Besides, there will always be people that I'll find it hard to get along with--why be chased away by just one of them? But I have been trying, really, really hard, yet it never seems to be good enough. It's very discouraging.

Sorry this was a bit of a rant. TL;DR Please pray that God will give me guidance as to what to do with this job, that I will continue to improve, and that I'll get along better with my supervisor. Especially tomorrow morning. Wednesday mornings are stressful enough as is. Oh, also that I'll be able to figure out how to cope with being nocturnal a bit more.

Thank you!
Lynna

Re: Work

Postby PandaPop » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 pm

I'll be praying for you Lynna, it can be so disheartening when someone only wants to notice what your doing wrong, I always have to remind myself that God sees what I'm doing right and that I'm trying (or my mom reminds me >.<).
PandaPop

Postby drill » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:28 pm

I'll be praying, Lynna.

Also, being that I like to study personality types, your manager/supervisor sounds like a D. Here is a link to show what a D is and how to get along with them: https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/dominance/

Something that is not mentioned in there is that D's, for the most part, never really hold a grudge or criticize you at a personal level. I have a manager who is a D, and I just think of their comments as something that I can improve myself on. I realize that it is discouraging to only hear criticism, but if you expect it in the first place, and you understand that it isn't necessarily directed at you, then I think you will feel a lot better about the situation.
drill

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 pm

I'll be praying for you, Lynna. Other than the graveyard shift part, this sounds a lot like a job that I used to have, so I'd like to say I know how you feel. It can be really rough to try your very best and still be constantly criticized. The biggest thing to do, and what I had to do, is to evaluate whether it's hurting you spiritually. Because constant verbal abuse can really wear down your spirit. Also, make sure you're praying and reading your Bible regularly, because with something that draining, you need a source to resupply by.
I'll be praying.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby anlptgtsg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:41 am

Praying. I really can't say anything. A bit in a same boat.
anlptgtsg

Return to Prayer Room