My sister in Honduras

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

My sister in Honduras

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 pm

I have a sister who is working at an orphanage in Honduras. She takes care of the 0-7 year-old kids, and currently has something like 23 kids in her care. Most of the kids are there because their parents either didn't want them or couldn't take care of them. A handful are there because they were taken from their parents by a court and sent to the orphanage. Five of these are in my sister's age group. This week a group of judges was sent to the orphanage to check up on the condition of the kids they sent there. Overall, they were extremely pleased with how the kids had improved and how they were being taken care of. However, they aren't supposed to discipline the kids, and my sister is worried she could get in trouble because she spanks her kids. The judges are coming back next week, and if they're not happy they could potentially take them. My sister has decided that she will continue to discipline her kids because she believes it's the Biblical way to raise these kids, and she's willing to tell the judges as much. So please pray that everything goes smoothly and that God will give her peace about this situation. Needless to say, she's worried, as this could get her in trouble as well as making her lose her kids. She's trying to serve God and follow His will, and I'm sure He'll bless her for that. But please pray for her safety and that she's able to continue caring for the kids she loves.
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Re: My sister in Honduras

Postby Crossfire » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 pm

She's not allowed to discipline the kids? That must be an awkward position to be in... praying that all goes well.
Crossfire

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 am

Praying.

It sounds like a tricky situation, but it sounds like it's easier to pin spanking as firm discipline and to geet in trouble for it. Regardless of how your sister feels about Biblical discipline, there are other non-physical ways to enforce rules. Time-out does work, even though the Bible never lays out rules for it. Sitting down with kids to talk out what they've done does work, even though the Bible never lays out rules for it (and back then no one thought that kids had the intelligence to do it so that shouldn't be surprising).

Finding alternative discipline methods to spanking could be worth trying.
Atria35

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:46 am

Crossfire wrote:She's not allowed to discipline the kids? That must be an awkward position to be in... praying that all goes well.

The orphanage allows discipline, but apparently the government doesn't. I guess they're just following the rest of the world.
Atria35 wrote:It sounds like a tricky situation, but it sounds like it's easier to pin spanking as firm discipline and to geet in trouble for it. Regardless of how your sister feels about Biblical discipline, there are other non-physical ways to enforce rules. Time-out does work, even though the Bible never lays out rules for it. Sitting down with kids to talk out what they've done does work, even though the Bible never lays out rules for it (and back then no one thought that kids had the intelligence to do it so that shouldn't be surprising).

Finding alternative discipline methods to spanking could be worth trying.

She does use other methods, and doesn't just rely on spanking. It's not so much that she thinks it's the only way to do it Biblically, but that she believes it's right and she's not going to compromise her convictions just to stay out of trouble. She sincerely believes that it's one of the ways God would have her to raise these kids.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Xeno » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 am

Yes, because some guys 2000 to 6000 years ago certainly would have had the knowledge on how to properly being up children in the modern day socio-economic conditions of any country on this planet. Just think about that for a minute. Think about how old the Bible is, how old some of the instructions in it are regarding things, how many of those things Christians don't follow anymore because of how archaic they are, and ask if maybe beating children for being disobedient should fall into that category. And then, if it doesn't fall into that category for you or your sister, I recommend you read 1 Peter 2:13-17, which states to follow the laws of man (governmental laws).

edit: fixed the scripture reference, I somehow messed that up when I clearly knew what I was trying to type.
Last edited by Xeno on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeno

Postby goldenspines » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Xeno, your comment is uncalled for in a prayer thread. Whether or not your opinion differs from that of the OP, it's disrespectful to try to start a debate about it without invitation. PM the OP if you like, since you seem so convicted to post your opinion publicly with no regard for Claec or her sister. She is asking for prayer, not to be told what is "right" or "wrong".

EDIT: Because I realize my message was not as clear as I wanted. I apologize. It was mainly how your message was presented (sarcastic and uncaring), rather than the content, which was valid. In the future, please be more considerate in your posting.
goldenspines

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:40 am

From what a couple of people have told me, I didn't make clear what I'm asking for. I'm asking for prayer, not counsel. The situation I described is out of my hands entirely, as my sister is 26-years old and perfectly capable of making her own decisions, I hardly get a chance to talk to her at all, and the events are already set in motion. The judges are coming back next week regardless of whether my sister changes her discipline methods, and I'm simply asking for prayer that all goes well, they don't take the kids, and my sister remains safe.
ClaecElric4God

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 pm

*Update*
Thanks for your prayers. Obviously, it's been over a week, and my sister has heard nothing from the judges. According to one of the nationals, they do that alot, just threatening to come back, and never actually do. They just check up every once in a while to make sure everything's going smoothly. So thanks again for your prayers, and hopefully this is the last we'll hear about it.
ClaecElric4God

Return to Prayer Room