Any recommended Bible Schools?

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

Any recommended Bible Schools?

Postby johnaze » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 am

So I'm looking for a bible school outside of europe, of the pentecostal kind to study at around next year. Any good recommendations?

Also please pray that God leads me to the right one :)
johnaze

Postby metolosophy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:12 am

Praying that God will lead you to the right place to be! ^L^
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby Xeno » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:08 am

Setting aside some stronger beliefs about bible colleges, and Pentecostalism in general, for some plain advice, I'd highly recommend that if you decide to go to a bible college for whatever reason that you make sure it's accredited. A lot of bible colleges in the United States are not because they have courses that are completely unrelated to a real higher education.
Xeno

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:13 am

Xeno (post: 1591203) wrote:Setting aside some stronger beliefs about bible colleges, and Pentecostalism in general, for some plain advice, I'd highly recommend that if you decide to go to a bible college for whatever reason that you make sure it's accredited. A lot of bible colleges in the United States are not because they have courses that are completely unrelated to a real higher education.

This. Unless you went to an accredited college, your degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on, but some of the non-accredited schools will try to fool you by saying it doesn't matter (such as the Apostolic Institute in St. Paul, MN). That's just not true. You also want STATE or NATIONAL accredation, not accredation by 'The Board of Christian Whatevers'. That's not accredation. Some schools are also accredited in some programs but not others, so you need to do research on that.

There aren't that many Pentacostal Bible Schools that are accredited - really there is only 1 in the US (Trinity Bible College in North Dakota) - so a friend of mine who's Pentacostal was planning on going to Wheaton College in IL because it's quite conservative and well-known to be accredited.
Atria35

Postby johnaze » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 am

Hmm I see. Well, a couple of stupid questions then, since my primary language isn't english hehe.

What does it mean if a school is accredited or not and would that matter to me since i'd be a foreign student?

I'm aware that there's a difference our direction of beliefs, but I still apreciate the advice :)
johnaze

Postby Hiryu » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 am

I want to say that other people won't recognize your degree, but I'm not sure if that's exactly true. For the most part, I think it is.
Hiryu

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 am

johnaze (post: 1591212) wrote:What does it mean if a school is accredited or not and would that matter to me since i'd be a foreign student?

I'm aware that there's a difference our direction of beliefs, but I still apreciate the advice :)

When a school is accredited, it means that it meets certain standards of education. The only way to ensure that your education is quality is to go to an accredited school.

Without that accredation, there's no way to know what you're learning and if you'll actually be prepared for whatever field you choose to go into. Also, many companies will not accept a degree from a school without accredation because they aren't regulated. Many non-accredited schools are well-known for being places where you spend a lot of money to learn nothing. They make money off of people who don't know any better.

It doesn't matter if you are a foreign student or not. That accredation shows that those schools are teaching you what you need to know.
Atria35

Postby MrKrillz0r » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Praying that God will lead you to the right school!
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Crossfire » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Well, if you're willing to move to Canada there's the Kings University in Edmonton. That's the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but I know there are a ton in western Canada alone. May I ask what type of degree you are looking for?

Edit: Here's a couple more of the reputable schools.

Prarie Bible Institute in Three Hills, Ab.

Trinity Western in Langley, B.C.
Crossfire

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Wheaton is a good school, and has many great professors in Biblical studies (John Walton, for example. Lots of Bible schools use his textbooks on the Old Testament) and has an expert CS Lewis scholar, etc etc.
It is not a dedicated Pentecostal school (it was founded prior to the pentecostal revivals of the early 20th C), but it is fairly broadminded within the Christian faith:
Billy Graham went there, by the way, and I know a Roman Catholic guy who went there happily.
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby DaughterOfZion » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Also accreditation means that if you choose to transfer to a different school that the new school will accept at least some of the hours you took at your previous school. An accredited degree is also important if you decide you want to go to graduate school.

It also would help us give you advice if you could give us at least some idea of what you wish to do with your degree.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Ditto what's been said about accreditation. Be absolutely sure the university and courses you hope to take are nationally accredited. Otherwise, other places won't recognize your degree and you'll have to take courses all over again just to get recognized nationally, even when the university you graduated from says you've earned them.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby AdriTan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 am

My parents went to a Pentecostal one in New York. It's called Bethany I think, but whether it's accredited or not I don know I'll get back to this tommorow after I ask my dad
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:33 am

Also, what sort of program are you looking for? Bible schools tend to be smaller and don't offer full ranges of degrees, so you might want to make sure your chosen school has the program you want.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Prayer Room