an almost silly request

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

an almost silly request

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:04 pm

Hey guys, this is a rather....awkward request.
I um, was just asked on a date for the first time...and aside from being a little nervous, I'm also a little hesitant. I mean, I already said yes, but the whole "protecting your gift"/purity thing has been impounded into my head, and I'd just appriciate a little extra prayers tonight. We're supposedly--with the consent of both parental parties--going to a baseball game in Houston (go Astros!), and then straight home, so I know I won't be in odd alone time situations. Still, it would make me feel a whole lot better if I knew I had some people just praying an extra layer of protection for tonight. Thanks.
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:21 pm

Awwww...yay! :] But I can understand being nervous, girl. I shall pray ^^
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rashiir » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:23 pm

Jeff Kent is the man. Oh, right, the date...be sure to wear something modest...I'll pray too.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby shooraijin » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:17 pm

It's *not* an odd prayer request! ;)
Wilco.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Spiritsword » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:47 pm

I will pray for you, Ash. Not a silly prayer request at all.

No comment regarding the Astros. I've been trying to avoid that topic for some time now.

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby inkhana » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:14 pm

This may be a bit belated, but I pray you are safe and having a great time...:)!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Saint » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:34 pm

Relationships are a serious thing, even dating ones. I will keep your request in mind. We'll be praying. ;)
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:05 pm

Ok, date over. It was interesting...I mean, it wasn't what I thought it would be, but it wasn't bad either. Rather fun, once we stopped being nervous. We ended up seeing only part of the baseball game, caught a cab, tried to catch a movie (didn't work), got back to the stadium and met with his parents.
And I could kinda tell he wasn't trying to get in my pants, which was relieving. And he was pretty polite, but he did try to hold my hand or the whole arm-shoulder-yawn thing. But he was courteous about it, which suprised me.
The only downside is he claims to be an atheist. :sob: Which just means I'm going to need extra prayer, because I don't want to get in that non-christian dating christian THING.
But yeah, it was good. And he didn't ask to kiss me, which was better!
Ashley

Postby Saint » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:11 pm

While i won't get involved in your desicions, i would strongly recommend agianst even dating someone that isn't a christian. // you can still have fun, and ministry with people as a friend or in a group. // and its a good thing he didn't try to mess with you. he'd have a lot of people angry at him. :)
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby inkhana » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:25 pm

Yes, I'd've had to get out all the pitchforks and...why are you looking at me like that...?

Well, anyway, I'm glad everything worked out for you. :)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Rashiir » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:38 pm

I guess I'd better keep praying. :)
Rashiir

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Although she may hate me for it...my daughter will be courted.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Gypsy » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:32 pm

Rev. Doc wrote:Although she may hate me for it...my daughter will be courted.

She'll love you for it later. When I turned 16, my Dad made up a contract that the guy would have to sign under penalty of loss of appendages. He still jokes about it.

Anyway, Ash. You already know how I feel about getting romantically involved with someone who doesn't have a growing relationship with Christ - let alone someone who doesn't believe in God. If anyone would like to know my views on such things, please PM me and I'd be happy to share.

But yeah, Ash. I was/still will be praying.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Rashiir » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:56 pm

I strongly sense the presence of the chair example...
Rashiir

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:59 pm

When I originally saw that the situation was already over, I figured the need for prayer was gone... how wrong I was. Without making any sort of judgements or suggestions, I think all I can say is that I'll be praying.
uc pseudonym

Postby shooraijin » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:18 pm

> Although she may hate me for it...my daughter will be courted.

Be sure you buy Kevlar well in advance. :grin:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby MillyFan » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:56 am

Praying if I remember (LOL, I'm forgetful sometimes so please don't count on me. . .)

As for the whole relationships thing, I've given up on it. The first guy I thought I loved turned out to be controlling and threatened suicide when I finally chose to leave him. The second wasn't controlling or suicidal or anything but was. . .let's just say. . .weird. . .even for an otaku. We broke up (although that was much more amicable and we were still friends) however I fear that he may have ended up in jail for something (unrelated to me).

Thing is, I never felt that deeply anyway, although I really tried to and hoped that I could, the best I could really feel was deep friendship and concern which I misconstrued as "love."

It's been a hard lesson to learn, but I've learned it and decided that my life would be much better without attempting to be in a relationship.

One of the reasons I tried in the first place for anything beyond friendships was so that I wouldn't be punished by God if I had bad thoughts. However, after examining myself and my life, I've realized that I'd rather simply take the punishment than live my life in a relationship only so I could get away with a little more than I could otherwise.

Another reason I felt pressured into relationships was that I felt that I had to continue the family because my sister is too shy to find someone and people hate her because of her weight. However, there are many other ways to leave a legacy with your life than getting married and having children.

Point of this pointless post: I've given up on romantic relationships and on looking for "Mr. Right" for good, because there is no "Mr. Right" for me. And my life is so much better. -^.^-

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:43 pm

Well, another update. Mom and I talked a lot, and I realized I may (read: did) over-react a bit to things. First of all, I'm not marrying the guy; now yes, dating is extremely serious, and I'm not shrugging it off as an excuse to fool around. But it is unlikely that I'll actually end up married to him, considering we're both 16.
Secondly, more importantly, Mom pointed out something pretty important: God already planned this relationship--if it's even old enough to be called that--for a reason. It could be to introduce him to true Christianity (he went to a church but hated it); it could be to plant some seeds, etc. But for now, I'm not going to obsess over it. I'll just take things as they come, and not back down on my values.
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:23 pm

It could even be to help you decide not to back down on your values.
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:26 pm

Oh yeah, I should clarify I found out about his "religious beliefs" AFTER I agreed (and after we were in Houston). I'd never intentionally try missionary dating. Just thought I should clarify that.
Ashley

Postby Benu » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:07 pm

Glad every thing went ok Ashley. But that's a shocker about his religious beliefs.
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby Rashiir » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:13 pm

It might be worthwhile trying to find out about a prospective date's religious beliefs beforehand, but I dunno.
Rashiir

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:47 pm

Is he really atheist, or is he an agnostic? Further more, is he of the opened, closed or ignostic variety?
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:59 pm

to Rashiir: well, to be honest, I made the stupid mistake of assuming. Add to that the fact it was very, very spontaneous, and that's just how it ended up. Future reference noted, trust me.
To UC: I'm not sure *what* he is exactly. I am sure that if this is to continue, God will provide an opportunity for him to open up to me about it. Then again, these things take time, precious though it is. I've learned that sometimes--especially in cases like his, where the unbeliever has a bad taste/view of the church in his mouth/eyes--you have to develop a relationship before you go out and evangelize to them. Otherwise they get the impression they never meant anything to you, and were merely a stepping stone to some spiritual rank. Anyway, I really do appriciate all your prayers guys.
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:40 pm

Wait, you don't even know this guy? You could have gotten yourself into big trouble young lady... ;)
Rashiir

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:04 pm

*bites tongue*
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Return to Prayer Room